An annoying bug when typing text in paragraphs

Nov 12, 2021

I've been encountering a rather annoying bug when writing paragraph text.

Here's the steps I am doing at the moment:

1. Type a word.
  2. Hit space.
  3. Type the next word.
  4. Delete the word, but not the space before it.

Rise has been automatically removing the space before the deleted word for me, triggering me to mistype merged words. You can see what's happening in the video I've attached.

I assume the code is constantly stripping trailing spaces.

It doesn't seem to happen all the time though, just enough to make me re-type often.

22 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi Sharon, sorry this is happening to you. Can you try to access Rise in Incognito or InPrivate window? Pressing Ctrl + Shift + n for Windows, or Press ⌘ + Shift + n for Mac switches you to Incognito mode and disables all browser plugins. Sometimes plugins cause odd behavior, do you still get the same issue when in Incognito?

Jacob Davies

I am currently experiencing this issue. It was intermittent initially but now is constant and I have tried in both Chrome and Firefox. No plugins or browser extensions are installed. Also happens for a colleague of mine.

We are currently using Rise exclusively for a project and though we are putting up with it is not ideal and should be sorted out. Clearly causing issues for a lot of paying users!

Crystal Horn

Hi folks! I have seen this issue happen when there is text that starts the line, and is formatted, or had been formatted (bold, italic, etc). Are you all seeing this occur with formatting changes, or does it seem to occur no matter what? 

This link shows a quick screencast of how I've reproduced the issue. The workaround at this point is not to start a line with formatted text, but instead to apply the formatting after you've completed the paragraph. We've documented this for a permanent fix!

Benjamin Dan

Hi there, I just wanted to add that I've been experiencing a similar issue, though it's not limited to happening when there is formatting involved (even for plain text it will often delete the space).

In addition to the deletion of space I've also noticed that formatting is often not applied as expected. That is, if I switch to using bold, underlined, or italicized text, if I stop using it at the end of a word it will continue applying it. I have to add a space before removing the formatting for it to take effect.

Example: If I am typing in bold and switch to regular characters, I have to use CTRL+B after leaving a space after the world "bold". If I use CTRL+B after typing the letter "d" and then leave a space, it will still continue in bolded letters afterwards.

Looking forward to any resolution or progress on these items, as it can be quite frustrating.

Alan Bush

Same thing happens for me all the time. I type a word, delete it, and the cursor jumps back to the end of the previous word. I start typing because I expect this text editor to work like literally every other text editor ever, but my cursor is not where I expected it, so I now delete the mashed up word that I've created and my cursor jumps back again

This bug is so small, yet so frustrating. 

Benjamin Dan

Hi Karl,

While I am not the original commenter, I can attest to the fact that it's unlikely to be a browser plugin/extension. 

My employer does not allow any extensions to be installed/used on my browser and I still experience this issue in Rise (and nowhere else, regardless of whether it's a text editor through the same browser or offline).

If I may ask - what browser do you use when working in Rise?

Alan Bush

I'm in Chrome. It's the latest version - it's actually been happening for months, but I finally posted about it today, instead of throwing my laptop across the room in frustration. 

I get that blaming an add-on is some pretty good troubleshooting, but the only add-ons I use are business critical, and not likely to hijack my cursor - because they're business critical and vetted by our IT Team. Additionally, this is the only time this ever happens. Not on any other site. Literally only here. The common denominator is definitely Articulate not any extensions. 

So I recorded a video in an incognito window - no extensions enabled. Same thing. It's the text editor. 

Even if it was extensions (Again, it's not) shouldn't it work with common extensions that your users have to use to get the rest of their work done?

Josh Gorman

Yup. I'm the original poster and it still happens EVERY SINGLE DAY I use Rise 360. It's very frustrating and It's definitely not an extension issue.

Rise is removing trailing spaces in text far too often. I can understand wanting to do that after someone moves to a different block, but not while actively typing in the block.

Brady Tyler

Also experiencing this issue.  My assumption is that while Rise is trying to actively save in the background, it's not able to keep up with our text entry and it keeps "reverting" back to the last recent save.

It's gotten frustrating enough that I find myself opening Notepad just to type one sentence so I can copy/paste it into Rise instead of typing it. 

If feels like the autosave feature is a blessing and a curse right now.

Nic Hilgendorf

Do any other users have any tips that work for avoiding this bug? After working in Rise for 6 months at a new position, I'm having this backspace issue occur regularly and so are members of my team. We're avoiding Rise where we can because typing is such an immensely frustrating experience, but unfortunately some of our longer courses in our LMS must use it. How is this 4-year-old bug still a problem?!?