Are Storyline 360 and Rise a good match?

Jan 25, 2017

Hi, community!

This time I'm writing cause I'd like to have the opinion of people/heroes with more design experience than me.

I am working at an IT company and I have just finished developing our first eLearning course with Storyline 360. I have been exploring Rise and I LOVE the things you can do with the tool, soI would like to start the second course using Rise instead of Storyline.

Do you think that if both courses follow the same design style they would look good once they're uploaded to the  LMS? What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Pamela F.

6 Replies
Mike Jones

Hi Pamela,

I think you'd be fine for the most part, but realize that there are inherent differences between what Storyline offers in terms of customization compared to the more templatized approach that Rise offers. Depending on how intricate the customization is in Storyline and how closely you want the Rise course to mirror what you created in Storyline, you may run into some limitations that one tool can do differently/better than the other.

If you haven't read this article from Nicole, I'd suggest giving it a look—it outlines what situations/types of projects are best suited for the various components found in the Articulate 360 suite.

Might you share some specific ideas you had for the Rise courses, or some insight into how you'd like to see the Storyline and Rise courses look in the LMS? That might help us offer better suggestions and ideas.

Good luck!

Scott Kaye

I have personally had some difficulty in making Rise look like Storyline.  I like using both products, but find that they work better (for me) for specific usage.  Having said this, depending on what design elements you are referring to, you can make the courses look quite similar in visual style.  

It seems a worthwhile project.

FSMTB Education

Rise doesn't really look like Storyline. It has a different functionality and a different feel. Storyline lets you get more detailed in your work and have more of a creative license. Rise uses pre-made builds. You can still be creative in the images and content you add in Rise, of course, and I think it's a fabulous authoring tool. Especially if you want to get a course created in a short amount of time. But it's definitely different from Storyline. Try it out first, though. You may love it! I made a test course and I learned how to use Rise and created a course in about an hour.

Veronica Budnikas

Agree with what has been said so far.

I think the main thing first is to determine what type of course you want to build—what kind of interactivity you want, how much customisation, etc.—and then choose the right tool for the job. In terms of look and feel, you can certainly use the same or similar design elements so that a courses built in SL and Rise look like they 'belong' to the same series, even if they work slightly differently.

Love Phil's idea of creating full modules in SL and micro-bits in Rise.

Good luck! 

Jackie Van Nice

Hi Pamela! 

Lots of good answers here. I agree with Veronica that you need to choose the tool best suited for the task at hand, and I also think that keeping your design elements congruent between Storyline and Rise will make them look like they belong to the same family.

I agree-agree that Phil's idea of using SL for the heavy lifting and Rise for microcourses is a great one. That way you wouldn't seem to be randomly be using SL for some and Rise for the others; each type of course (and look) would belong to a meaningful series distinguished from the other; yet related.

The more  intentional you are in your planning of how to use each tool ahead of time; the more your learners are going to see, understand, and appreciate the logic of the fabulous body of learning you're developing. :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.