Assistance with finding a solution to the JAWS screen reader ‘clickable’ issue in our RISE module

Jun 12, 2019

Hi,

I have researched on the Articulate website and found out that Rise 360 doesn’t fully support screen readers yet, according to the Articulate Accessibility FAQs link below.

"Rise 360 courses don't fully support screen readers yet. We're currently working on screen reader support. Stay tuned!”

https://articulate.com/support/article/Articulate-360-FAQs-Accessibility

”Rise 360 courses don't fully support screen readers yet. We're currently working on screen reader support. Stay tuned!”

However I was wondering if anyone could assist me with finding a solution to the only issue I have been unable to resolve after a sight impaired staff member tested a RISE module I recently created with her JAWS screen reader.

The issue is that the JAWS screen reader is repeatedly saying that the content throughout the module is ‘clickable’ when it is reading the information off the screen.

Is there anything that can be done about this or is it just a simple case of having to wait until Rise 360 courses fully support screen readers?

If there isn't anything that can be done now than it would be really helpful if you could you please provide me with an update on the progress of addressing this issue in RISE ?

I look forward to hearing from someone soon.

Regards Robyn 

15 Replies
Kristy Macintosh

Hi - thanks! The other forum is a different question though (the accessibility of markers and if screen readers can read marker text). This one is about why JAWS is reading "clickable" throughout my Storyline 3 course when there are no clickable elements - only plain text. As an example, I have a screen of plain text in a textbox on the screen. As JAWS reads through it, it is randomly announcing the word "clickable" in the middle of sentences. There is absolutely no clickable content on the screen. It's two text boxes ( a title and body content) and an image. It does this throughout my course.

I am wondering if others are having the same problem with their courses? I am using Chrome, JAWS and Storyline 3. 

Lauren Connelly

Hello Kristy!

I'm happy to help! Unfortunately, the issue where JAWS announces "Clickable" continuously is a common complaint with JAWS. It reads "Clickable" on websites as well. One suggestion is to change the settings in JAWS under the Web/HTML/PDF section.

Here's a screenshot:

They suggest unchecking the box next to Indicate Element Attribute. 

Please let me know if that does the trick!