Audio in Storyline Block doesn't play automatically

Jun 25, 2020

Hi! I'm creating a course in Rise with multiple SL blocks. The SL blocks are esentially videos with multiple choice questions in between (so I can't export them as .mp4). When I click on the continue button above, the video starts playing automatically but without audio. I need to click pause/play in order for the audio to work. It's a huge problem because when the audio starts it's not in sync with the content of the video. How could I solve this issue?

5 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Daniella. It sounds like you aren't hearing the audio from the video at first when it's inside the Rise lesson. What I would expect is that if a browser auto-play policy is blocking the media, you'd have to click play on the Storyline block. You shouldn't see the video play without audio.

Could we have a look at your course? We'll keep everything private and delete it when we're done troubleshooting. If so, click here to connect with my team and share files. 

Daniella Liendo

Hi, Sam. My "video" are in fact animations created with shapes, characters and text from storyline so I don't think there's a way of merging them with the audio. Here's an example in Review, the video is silent at first and one has to pause/play for the audio to work:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/be98b4a3-5646-4a2d-a67e-b756f1e8b6e6/review

Crystal Horn

Thank you for that explanation and sample! In the Storyline interaction, because your first slide advances automatically to the second slide with audio, the browser never gets "permission" from the learner to play the audio. Can you add a button on the first slide to advance to slide 2 with audio rather than having it advance automatically?

Here is some detail about how browsers may handle automatically playing your media:

Audio and video content on other slides in your course should play as expected. However, if your slides are set to advance automatically without any interaction, media might not work since learners haven't given their browsers permission to play it.

To make sure media plays correctly throughout your course, set the slide that comes before each audio clip and video to advance only when learners click a button or interact with it in some way. For example, if you have audio on slide 2, set slide 1 to advance when learners click the "next" button or another button on the slide.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.