Background Music in Rise

Jun 09, 2022

Hello, 

I see there is a way to add an audio file in Rise but I was wondering if there was a way to have background music play for the entirety of the lesson. Any help would be appreciated. 

9 Replies
Daniel Canaveral

Hi Amber.  Don't know if this is still an issue for you, but in case it is, the solution you're looking for here involves exporting the Rise course and then adding some key elements to the content folder:

Step 1

Paste a copy of the audio file you want to play in the background into the content folder.  Note the name and file type (in this case, mp3)

add audio

Step 2

Once the audio file is in, open the index.html file with Notepad (or another code editor).

open notepad

Step 3

Once you're in, locate the opening body tag <body>.  It should precede the opening style tag <style>.  Insert the following lines of code into the space between these two tags, replacing the bracketed pieces with the appropriate information (in my example, it would be "bgmusic.mp3"):

<audio autoplay="true" src="[name of your audio file].[file type]”>

</audio>

add code

Hope that helps!

P.S. There is a way to provide audio controls (i.e., play/pause button) if you would prefer that:

<audio controls autoplay>

<source src="[name of your audio file].[file type]" type="audio/mpeg">

</audio>

Nicky Sidhu

Hi daniel, do you mind starting from the beginning, what do I pushlish to (video, web?) and then guide me through the process?

I've tried both javascript and this method and neither work for me, if I try and follow the steps above to the web published files, my end product ends up playing a blank screen. In future is it easier to add the music to the powerpoint and then import?

Karl Muller

One of the recognized learner styles is auditory learners. However, auditory learners benefit when learning content is presented so that they can listen rather than reading (or a combination of listening and reading). 

As background music does not fall into the learning content category, I would venture that it is purely a personal preference. Some like it, others don't, and for some it creates a sensory overload that actually impedes learning.