Best way to publish eLearning in multiple languages

Sep 05, 2023

Looking for advice on the best way to publish (hopefully 1) scorm file that includes multiple languages.

I know I can accomplish it with SL and branching; however we prefer providing courses in Rise due to the dynamic display (our employees access training on multiple different devices).

Is there a way to combine 3 Rise courses (English, Spanish, French) into one scorm to post? If so is there a way to create a header portion to allow people to choose their language?

OR if not, is there a way to insert the three Rise courses inside a SL course with a branching scene, and if so, bc the Rise courses would be sitting inside SL, would that negate the dynamic display?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

5 Replies
Judy Nollet

Both Rise and Storyline limit you to one language for the Text Labels (that is, the messages the system displays, such as the warning if you click the Submit button before selecting a response to a quiz question). So if you combine multiple languages into one project, some folks will see info in a language they didn't choose.

Here's the best solution I've seen for translated courses:

• Create a separate source (.story file or Rise project) for each language.
  • Publish each as a SCORM package.
  • Have someone with the proper coding skills wrap all those packages into one big SCORM package, with a starting page that allows the user to select a language. Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations about who does that sort of programming. Perhaps someone else will chime in with suggestions. 

Another option I've seen also involves publishing a separate SCORM package for each language. Those are then bundled into a curriculum within an LMS, with the settings adjusted so that the user only has to complete one of the courses to finish the curriculum. Of course, being able to do this depends on the LMS. 

Karen Lane

Hi Adam, We are still figuring this out, and most recently are looking at either using equivalency settings within our LMS (we use Workday) where you can create a program with multiple items in it (so think - the English SCORM, a French SCORM, a Spanish SCORM - each one are items within the program). There is a way to tell the system to mark the learning complete if the person completes 1 of the 3 items - "if this is complete, then the other two are "equivalently complete"). The other thing we know is that Brainshark can "house" multiple scorm files and provide a starting slide that allows people to select their language which then points them to the appropriate language's scorm file within the Brainshark scorm. I haven't done this yet but other teams within Gap Inc. have. I'd love to stay connected on how you solve - feel free to reach out directly Karen_lane@gap.com !

Corey Liknes

Hi Karen, we're encountering almost exactly the same issue. We've developed French and English courses in Rise, and we were trying to find a way to make them a single SCORM. We tried bringing both inside a Storyline file, and it sortof works, but it's clunky. We are also on Workday, so we wanted to use equivalencies, but equivalency in WDL doesn't work if a course is (a) assigned as required, and (b) has a duration expiry (which almost all our courses are). Just wondering if you had any success using Programs in WDL to house the 2 Rise files? I will explore this with our Workday admins here, but if you had success with this please let us know how you figured it out...

Worst case scenario, we just rebuild the content in Storyline. :/