BOLD text is not working

May 03, 2023

I have a module where when I highlight a word and click bold or Ctrl+B it will not change the text to bold. This module is a few months old; bold has worked in the module previously but today it's stopped working. I have restarted the app and re-launched the module, this didn't help. I have also re-started my computer and it's still doing the same thing. I have also tested another module I have access to, from a colleague and I can make things bold in their module. 

Any ideas to fix this?

12 Replies
Kelly Auner

Hi Lauren,

Welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue when trying to change text to bold in your Rise course. I tested this out on my end with a new course, and a previously created course. I was able to successfully bold the text by highlighting it and selecting bold, as well as highlighting it and using the command + b shortcut. Here's a preview:

• Which font are you using? If you change the font, does that make a difference?
  • Have you tried opening an incognito window to view the course? Or if possible, can you try logging in on another computer to see if it's a display issue with your current machine?

If the issue persists, I'd like to connect you with one of our Support Engineers so they can investigate further. You can submit a  support case here!

Hi Stan,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue as well. I see that you’ve reached out to our Support Engineers and are working with my teammate, Ian. You’re in great hands! We’ll continue the conversation in your support case. 

Tanya Corlett

A further update. The font that seems to be impacted is a custom imported font (Calibri) if I switch the font to Roboto (a built-in font) the look and feel is as expected. So I'm now suspecting that custom imported fonts are being ignored in Edit Mode but picked up properly in Preview mode.

I'll pass this on to tech support as a follow up.

Gren Foronda

Hi folks!

I'm happy to let you know we have fixed this issue where bold and italic formatting aren't displayed correctly on certain fonts during edit mode.

Please refresh your web browser and see if this resolves the issue for you as well.

Let us know if you still run into this issue, or have any questions about this update. Have a lovely day!

Tanya Corlett

Hi, we had a similar problem and eventually it got resolved.

Here's what we did: we selected one of our rise courses, which had the problem, then in themes for that course we went to custom fonts and noticed that our bold Calibri font was missing.

We reimported the Woff file for bold and italic and then choose them again in the theme and all was reset. And, now wonderful, all the other learning units were reset too. 

Worth a try.

Lea Agato

Hi, Mandy! Have you tried deleting your Filson pro book, and importing it again? 

Here’s how to delete your font:

1. Go to your Rise 360 dashboard and click a tile to edit the course.
  2. Click Theme in the upper right corner of the course editor.
  3. Click Fonts.
  4. Select the More tab.
  5. Select Manage Custom Fonts.
  6. Hover over Filson pro book, then click the trash icon that appears.
  7. Click Save to commit your changes, then click Back to return to the font menu.

To upload Filson pro book again:

1. Go to your Rise 360 dashboard and click a tile to edit the course.
  2. Click Theme in the upper right corner of the course editor.
  3. Click Fonts.
  4. Select the More tab.
  5. Select Manage Custom Fonts.
  6. Click Add Custom Font on the screen that appears.
  7. Enter a name for your custom font. (This is the name that will show in the font selectors in Rise 360.)
  8. Click the Regular, Bold, and Italic buttons and select a WOFF file from your computer. You don’t have to upload a WOFF file for all three categories, but you must upload at least a regular-weight font.
  9. Click Save to commit your changes.
  10. Click Back to return to the font menu or repeat the process for additional custom fonts.

Once you've reuploaded your font, please check if the bold option is now available. Let us know how it goes!