Button Customization

Jun 28, 2018

Maybe I am missing something but is there any way to get rid of the all-caps defaults? A lot of the labels including buttons are always in all-caps. For accessibility reasons I cannot have them in all-caps. Thank you!

17 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jill,

You'll see that some of the headers and buttons are set to appear as all caps, and there isn't yet a setting to change that. You mentioned this being an issue for accessibility, and I know our team is focusing on some accessibility updates and improvements in the near future. I'd love to have some additional insight from you on what things you need to focus on, and I can pass that along to our Product team. 

Jill Solomon

Hi Ashley,

It is good to hear that improvements are going to be made for accessibility. My two main areas of focus for accessibility are the all-caps issue and tab order. Some screen readers will read words in all-caps one letter at a time (which isn't practical when all buttons are in caps) and those with reading disabilities often have trouble reading words in all-caps. Users also need to be able to tab through everything on the screen in an order that makes sense (like not going though the sidebar navigation every time a new lesson is started). A section for alternative texts also needs to be available for any images on the screen. Hope this helps! Can't wait to see some changes.

Pauline Rewa

Thank you, Steven! This should be fairly easy to implement, as "new features" go, since we're basically asking that Articulate just remove (or allow us to override) the style settings. It's definitely an issue, especially for people with dyslexia and similar conditions. In fact, all caps is generally in the top five list of things not to do. Any help speeding this along would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Perez

Curious if there has been any movement on this? The original question came in 6 years ago, it was acknowledged that the feature should be implemented 3 years ago, and 11 months ago noted that there would be updates. Is it really taking this long for what seems like a very basic feature to turn off ALL CAPS for button text?