Close captioning & other accessibility questions in Rise

Nov 16, 2017

Hello everyone!

I love the new updates, and RISE is more and more the way to go for us here. The new accessibility navigation is SO BADLY needed, and now it's added, even better!

However, I'm concerned that Storyline provides the ability to Close Caption video, but there doesn't seem to be a way to upload that whole file into Rise. Or am I missing a step? 

I do not see a CC trigger on the video player in Rise, so can it support CC? If so, can any one walk me through a way it can done?

Lastly, anyone know where I can see how screen readers work with Rise? Is there an article somewhere on here, I can't find one. If not, is there any recommended browser or plugins that will do screen reading?

Thanks!

9 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Kevin,

So glad to hear you've been loving Rise! We think it's pretty awesome, too. 😁

You absolutely can embed a closed captioned video in Rise using the Storyline Block! Here's how:

1. Open Storyline 360, and insert an MP4 video on the slide.
  2. Use the built-in closed caption editor to add captions to the video.
  3. Remove any unnecessary features from the player, such as the navigation buttons, the menu, and so on. Enable the caption button, since learners will use this to turn the captions on and off. 
  4. Publish your Storyline slide to Articulate 360.
  5. In Rise, open the blocks lesson where you'd like to add the video.
  6. Insert an interactive Storyline block.
  7. Click the Browse Articulate 360 button in the Storyline block.
  8. Select the Storyline slide that contains the video you want to use.

Voilà! Now your Rise lesson contains a video with closed captions.

We're still working on Rise accessibility features. Once those are further along in development, we'll be able to share how Rise works in conjunction with WCAG and 508 guidelines. 

I hope that helps!

Kevin O'hare

Thank you!

That really helped a lot!

But, I noticed when I uploaded the video, the iPhone player options in Rise didn't play the video when previewing. Is there a setting I should use? I did set the export to HTML 5, not HTML 5 & Flash.... Is there another setting I can use for this?

Also, is there a way to have CC auto ON? 

Sorry, one last question; the video plays in the Articulate video frame, but Rise is so nice for its edge to edge browser layout. How can I get this video to play like a Rise video but with the CC attached? Any workarounds or suggestions how this can be done?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kevin, 

Storyline blocks won’t work when you click the mobile phone icons during preview, but they will work as expected in published output on mobile phones. I understand how helpful it'd be to see Storyline blocks in mobile phone previews, so I've sent your request to our development team. I'll be sure to let you know if we add this feature to Rise.

In the meantime, if you want to test how they'll appear use the Share link and access that from your mobile device. 

Closed captions are turned off as a default, but you can turn them on using the method described here. 

As for the video display, it will appear inside the player you've set up for Storyline and since it has the CC button enabled there, there isn't a way to push it outside that player frame.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.