DHS Trusted Tester Section 508 Compliance Program issue

May 19, 2023

Hello all, I'm pretty new to Rise.  I have a client that really would like to use Rise for a Level 1 training they want to deploy rapidly.  We've already worked out how we want to use it, but we've run into a roadblock when we've run our stuff past our section 508 compliance trusted tester.  All interface elements required to "complete" a section should have appropriate tagging for completed/not completed.  That's critical for AA level WCAG compliance.  Without that, it won't pass DHS's Trusted Tester - an interpretation of Section 508.

We can clearly block it so you have to, for instance, go through a series of flashcards before continuing.  The state of those flashcards is clearly tracked, as is their current state.  But there is no tagging/labeling (such as an aria-label attribute "X - completed") that would count as 508 compliant in the Trusted Tested program.

Are there any workarounds/fixes for this issue?

1 Reply
Gren Foronda

Hi Stuart!

I understand you are running into a 508 compliance issue when testing Rise with DHS Trusted Tester.

May we request that you open a support case with us, as we’d like to understand better what you are testing, which WCAG criteria are tested, and so on. If possible, please share a copy of your Rise course so we may also test this.

We'll be looking forward to the case submission. Have a lovely day!