Display Size of Uploaded Video

Apr 04, 2017

Hello,

I am uploading several MP4 files to a Rise course. It seems the video takes up all the available window size regardless of the video size. 360. 720. 1080 all take up the whole right side of the screen. Is there a way to have the video play in a smaller size?

If not, please add that to the list for future releases.

Thanks

22 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Levi, 

We recommend using high quality videos with a 16:9 aspect ratio for the best results in your published Rise courses (and you can see some other best practices here for media). As for the overall size and location, you'll see it on the right hand side while the menu appears on the left as in this image:

And as you adjust what device and orientation you're using the video will continue to resize to fit the screen. 

Since you're looking for a bit more customization of the video element, could you share some more detail on could you share some more detail on how you might use this feature? As that's really helpful insight to get into the hands of our product team! Feel free to post it here, or send it along as a feature request.

Levi Nunez

Thanks Ashley.

Yes, I am aware of the functionality as you describe and frankly I love it. However, I am facing a size limit imposed by my company's LMS. One of the ways I wanted to meet this size limit was to cheat slightly on the video size. I was trying to render something slightly smaller. I am rendering videos that meet the 16:9 aspect ratio but the resolution isn't great when my MP4s get stretched to fill the needed space.

Also, in some cases I am leveraging existing video files that don't have great resolution to start with.

I think at this point I am going to split up my courses and render them separately as modules to get by this size limit imposed by my LMS.

And yes, I would like this as a feature request for future releases.

Thanks

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Levi, 

So you're looking for a smaller display on the screen, not a smaller file size to the video and the Rise course upon export? If it's the screen size and display could your LMS be forcing it into a different player or frame that's interfering with Rise and the responsive nature? We'd be happy to take a look, as Rise should be adapting to the space it's being displayed within. It would be helpful to have a copy of your Rise export, and a link to where it's hosted on your LMS - so I've gone ahead and opened up a Support case for you so that we can gather that information outside of the forums. Keep an eye out for an email from Support@articulate.com! 

Lane Fields

I've found in the courses that I've built that the display size of the video is different if you select pre-built lesson vs. blocks.

If you insert a video using the pre-built lesson, the video will expand to fit the content window.

If you inert a video using content blocks, there will be padding around the video in the content window.

Hope that helps!

Robert Edgar

Hi Alyssa,

Oh, interesting. I'll take a look at the dividers.

Thanks!

Best

Robert

Robert Edgar

Program Manager, Learning Systems Design

Stanford | University Human Resources | Learning Solutions Group

3160 Porter Drive, Suite 250 | Palo Alto, CA 94304

Work: 650-721-3023 | Cell: 650-387-5914

Visit Us Online: Learning Solutions Group

Stay Connected: Cardinal at Work Connect

Joshua Bruck

Is there a way to make the Video blocks smaller. I am looking for a way to create videos rather than audio, strictly for the sake of adding closed captioning but would not need a full 16*9 video but a 16*3. An additional benefit is that we can use these videos in place of audio and include Closed Captioning.

George Hargreaves

Hi - I've been using video clips within a quiz that I've built within Rise. When I play the video in the quiz question and maximise the video player area, it takes up about two thirds of the screen.

However, I then copied this Rise course, as my next module would follow a similar layout to the first - but I needed to upload new video clips in the Rise quiz. I used videos created with the same settings as for the first course (same resolution, same HD settings and ratio as for the first clips).

In the second Rise course, when I played back a video for in the quiz question and maximised the video player area, the video takes up around a quarter of the screen area (same screen/laptop used to edit, as for the first module) - and the information in the video is too small to be sufficiently clear.

Why - when I've used my first Rise course as the template - is my second course playing back video in the questions, with such a reduced display area size? I can't find any settings within Rise to control the playback area size.

I have created the video clips in a video editor and exported .MP4 files, using the same export settings for both of the Rise files.

Help!

George Hargreaves

Here's an image of my first Rise course quiz question - with the video set at full screen size.

The second image is where I've copied the first Rise course, then uploaded a new video for the new quiz question in course 2, with the video set at full screen size.

Why is the first video (same export settings, same style of content, same resolution etc.) displaying so much larger than the second video?

In both cases, the videos are embedded as part of a quiz question in the courses - for which there don't appear to be any display settings in Rise.

(Note: the earlier questions in this thread are referring to videos that are inserted into blocks or as part of the main course content - which offers different settings from when you are inserting video in quiz questions.)

George Hargreaves

Just to clarify - I've copied the original Rise course two further times - and again added different video clips/questions, as a quiz at the end of the modules.

For these final two courses, the videos (when maximised on screen) played back just fine - in keeping with the first course behaviour.

It is just the second course, based on the first course - where the videos in the Quiz questions are playing back at a smaller ratio.

In every case, I have created the videos and exported with the same settings.