Does Discontinuing subscription means my rise course source files will be LOST?

Aug 25, 2022

Hi, I have two question:

I have a course that was developed on articulate rise. If I discontinue the articulate subscription.

1. Will i loose the source file immediately?

2. Let say I want to update the course 2-3 years from discontinuing, if I pay the yearly subscription again, will my rise project still be there? and I am able to make updates to it?

2 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi Pat!

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. No, you won't lose your files immediately.

2. We'll keep your Rise 360 courses and Review 360 projects on our servers for at least six months after your paid subscription expires or at least three months after your free trial ends.  If you renew your paid subscription after 2-3 years, your files will no longer be there.

More information can be found here.

Note: You can download your file as Export to Web output or as a SCORM file before your subscription ends. That way you'll have a record of your file, but these are both uneditable.

Eric Fox

This is the main reason I advise any serious elearning developer or organization to stay far away from Articulate Rise. With no option to download or import your source/authoring files, your authoring files are essentially held hostage by Articulate, requiring you to have an Articulate 360 subscription in perpetuity if you ever need to go back and edit your courses. And guess what? Most courses need to be revised or edited at some point.

This system is a great way for Articulate to trap its users into a never-ending (overpriced) subscription, but it is a terrible deal for any course developer or organization. If you want to actually have ownership over the course authoring files you spend so much time working on, go with an open-source solution like H5P.