Embedded videos--page automatically scrolls to embedded edpuzzle videos

Jan 01, 2019

For some reason when a page loads with an embedded video in Rise, the page automatically scrolls to the embedded videos skipping the important content above the videos. The user would need to scroll to the top of the page after the embedded videos load. Here is an animated .gif of the issue:

Thoughts on how to fix this? The embed code is the following:

<iframe width="470" height="402" src="https://edpuzzle.com/embed/media/58f8cc0288a0a61e3563320f" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks!

15 Replies
Trina Rimmer

Sure thing, Christian! Thanks for giving us a little more information. I'll dig into this one a bit and circle back to you as soon as I can. In the meantime, I tried to reproduce this behavior on my end (just in Preview) with both embedded YouTube and Vimeo content and had no luck; everything works fine. Have you found this issue with embedded content from YouTube/Vimeo or just from this site? Thanks again!

Christian Horner

Okay. I just tried to modify the code by making it identical to the
embedded YouTube video. I removed the url from the EdPuzzle video and
placed in the same spot where the YouTube video is held. No luck. It has to
be something with EdPuzzle and the way they handle the "Guest" login.

Stephen...I don't think there is a workaround for this issue (automatically
scrolling to the bottom of the Rise page where the edpuzzle is located.
Most likely we just need to have links instead of embedding the videos.
(Share via link without the iFrame).

Thanks!

Trina Rimmer

Hey Christian. Thanks for the updates! One of our dev team members took a closer look at this and you're right; there's something about the way the EdPuzzle page resizes and centers itself that seems to steal the focus of the page. It looks like EdPuzzle behaves this way embedded into any web page, not just a Rise course. I see many EdPuzzle videos are available on YouTube, so maybe you can embed them directly from there? We tried this on our end and that odd behavior didn't happen for us. I hope this is helpful!

André Loiselle

Hi Trina, I tried to replace a direct video upload with a YouTube video of mine. The problem is still there. Like Christian said : 'the page automatically scrolls to the embedded video'. I noticed the same behavior when adding an H5P exercise into Rise. Any hopes the development team could look at this issue, since embedding 3rd party solutions becomes more and more usual?

Allison LaMotte

Hi André,

It sounds like the issue is not coming from Rise, but from EdPuzzle itself, so there's not much we can do on our end. Have you tried embedded an H5P exercise into any other webpage to see if you see the same behavior? That would help us identify whether it's a H5P issue or a Rise issue.

If embedding a YouTube video instead isn't fixing the issue for you, the best thing to do would be to have our Support Team take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

André Loiselle

Hi Allison.

Note : You can create an edpuzzle by either uploading your video to their server or by linking to a YouTube URL. I encountered the issue with both procedures.

After passing by this post, I also sent a copy of my work including the edpuzzle embed with an H5P one on different pages to the support team. 

I'm still awaiting their prognosis.

Thanks and take care ;)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.