Feature Suggestion: Link to pages within course

Jun 29, 2018

Hello. 

We are using Rise to create a reference website for new hires in our department and for our team's reference. We use your products, and the ability to search a course is wonderful. One thing that would be extremely helpful would be having the ability to link from one section to another. We have training content that is similar to others and it would be nice to be able to allow the user to skip between the sections and view content they need.

Just a suggestion,

Thanks! 

26 Replies
Diane Galloway

I agree with Broderick, I think you can only link to another lesson block if you use the Button stack block.  I'm not sure if this is what Broderick means but I would like to be able to highlight certain words in any type of lesson and have the option to link to another lesson in the Rise course, as well as the ability to link to other Rise courses, instead of just being able to hyperlink to an external link.

I think Rise is great and I know we are always looking for more!!!!

Thanks

Diane

Alyssa Gomez

Hey folks! I love the ideas everyone has shared here. We're excited to hear how you're using Rise and what we can do to make it work even better for you.

I did want to clarify what the interactive buttons can do in a Blocks lesson, since Michael mentioned that option earlier. 

Those buttons can be programmed to link to a webpage, send an email, exit the course, or jump to another lesson within the same Rise course. Let me know if you have any more questions about that!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi John, 

You can insert text hyperlinks right now! Take a look at this quick example of adding a hyperlink to a Button Block, a Statement, and even an Accordion interaction: 

Those won't go to other lessons just yet, but I'll let our team know you'd like to see that feature added! 

Greg Brown

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but I'd also love to see the linkable page option come to life, as well as a linkable section option.

What I mean is, while you can currently link from one lesson to another using buttons, and people have asked for that ability to be added to text hyperlinks as well, I'd like to also request the ability to link from one place on a page to another. Like in Wikipedia, where you can link to a particular section on the page, that's what I'd like to be able to do in Rise. So if I have one lesson with a few different parts in it, users could jump around between sections using buttons and/or hyperlinked text in the sections.

I'm not sure how you'd implement and recognize the different sections, but maybe in the beginning you'd have to use a Statement object, and can only link to those, but eventually perhaps you could link to anything, like "Jump down to this button if they click here".

Edit: I'm thinking of the ability to build a table of contents at the beginning of a lesson, allowing people to click to jump around, and a "return to top" link in each section. While this can be done by just creating each section as its own lesson, that feels like a lot of page loads and doesn't allow users to scroll around through content even after jumping to a point from the ToC.

Full Tilt Ahead

One more vote for this feature to be able to link to other blocks in the lesson as well as other lessons in the course. In addition, a particularly useful addition would be being able to set the target so authors could open links in the same or new tab/window. And finally, a way to get back. For instance, in our case we are trying to create a glossary. It is useful to be able to hyperlink a term to a Glossary lesson with a back button that returns users back to the previous page they were viewing - or alternatively, close the Glossary tab to return to the lesson they were viewing. 

While I'm at it... ideally, it would be great to be able to have on-hover popups for glossary and definition content so users don't have to interrupt their flow in order to view defined terms. Thanks!

Neal MacIsaac

Totally need the ability to link to another lesson in Rise w/o using blocks. I'm using markers on a Labeled Graphic to give more information to the learner ...think Infographic, but I need to allow them to branch to the last section, and then back again to where they started.
Sure I can hyperlink to a URL, but not another section in the same course, seems like that should be a default option.

Meghan McKay

Another vote!

Similar to mention earlier, it would be helpful to hyperlink to a specific section of Rise for learners who do not need to view all of the lessons. 

Example use case: 

Rise course containing demo videos A B and C. 

I would like to be able to hyperlink in a support document where a learner can click to watch video C (without watching videos A and B first) and read some additional information, without having to take the whole "course".