How to Edit Start and End Time for YouTube Videos

Jan 25, 2018

I am attempting to edit the code so that I can include both a beginning and end point to a  youtube video I want to embed in  my RISE course. I've attempted to make the changes, but so far I've only been able to adjust the start time, but not the end time.

25 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Colleen!

Sorry to hear you've run into this setback!

To clarify, are you encountering the bug my teammate Renz mentioned earlier in the discussion? Or are you experiencing other unexpected behavior when embedding a URL into your Rise course?

It would be helpful to see the video link you are trying to embed. Would you be comfortable sharing that here in the discussion or privately through a support case?

Colleen Turkington

I have added the code as described to stop the video at a specific time, but it is not working. Here is the embed code for the video without any changes: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8gSmeDUSpR0?si=GGhGT0F_ugiQTeX5" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even after I add the code as described, the video still ends at the 4:49 mark.

Steven Benassi

Hi Colleen!

Thanks for following up!

Working with the URL you shared, I was able to set the start parameter to 10 seconds, and the end parameter to 15 seconds, successfully (start=10&end=15).

rise-embed

The bug being discussed in this thread is still present (the '&' symbol showing as '&amp' after pasting into Rise 360), however, it did not affect the functionality of the link. I'll include your voice in the bug report and will provide updates as soon as a fix is in place.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Colleen Turkington

Thank you so much! That worked!

Can you also help with another issue? I researched and found that the information provided to stop the "suggested videos" from popping up at the end of a YouTube video is not currently working.

Can you provide the code for this?
Thank you again,

Steven Benassi

Hi Colleen!

You're welcome! So glad to hear that worked for you!

Unfortunately, using 'Rel=0' to stop related videos went away in September 2018. You can read more about that, here. According to YouTube, it's an essential part of their business model so they likely won't change it.

Also, it looks like part of your e-mail signature came through when you replied via e-mail. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response.