How to keep the sharpness of a video, when importing it into a Rise Video Block ?

Mar 18, 2021

Hello Everyone,

Before importing into Rise, my original video has these properties :
• Container  = MP4
• Codecs     = H.264 and AAC
• Dimensions = 1920x1080
• Size       = 5.2 MB
• Perception = Sharp  (at actual size, scale = 1)

After importing into Rise, the resulting video has these properties :
• Container  = MP4
• Codecs     = H.264 and AAC
• Dimensions = 1280x720
• Size       = 9.4 MB (larger than the original)
• Perception = Blurry (at actual size, scale = 1)

Why does Rise generate a video, that is blurry and larger in MB ?
How to keep the sharpness of a video, when importing it into Rise ?

Thank you for your help,
XL

Note :

To obtain the properties of the resulting video,
I exported a SCORM file, and I inspected the video in the SCORM file.

I have noticed the same issue with all other videos,
that I have imported into Rise.

Pinned Reply
Crystal Horn

Hi folks! We have a new, helpful tip for maintaining high resolution video quality in your lessons:

If you'd like a video to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your video file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it.

* Keep in mind, using this method bypasses transcoding and compression, so learners may encounter issues with playback across different devices. File size limits still apply.

For more media best practices, check out this article!

14 Replies
Lea Agato

Hi Xavier, I'm sorry to hear your video appears blurry in Rise.  You can follow the recommendations in this article on best practices for videos in Rise. If your videos continue to appear blurry in your course, can you share a copy of your file so we can troubleshoot the issue for you?  If you prefer to send your file privately, you can upload it here. We'll review it and send you an update via email. Thanks!

Crystal Horn

Hi folks! We have a new, helpful tip for maintaining high resolution video quality in your lessons:

If you'd like a video to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your video file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it.

* Keep in mind, using this method bypasses transcoding and compression, so learners may encounter issues with playback across different devices. File size limits still apply.

For more media best practices, check out this article!

Gren Foronda

Hi Daphne,

Sorry to hear that the issue persists despite adding _NOPROCESS_ to your video filenames.

Are you inserting these videos into a Video Block in Rise, or some other block, like an Accordion or Process block?

We also recommend sharing a copy of this file with our support engineers so that we can investigate this issue further. You can create a support case here and share the video file.

Let us know if you need anything else!