Learning Paths in Rise?

Dec 20, 2017

Hi all, longtime Articulate user but I've yet to use Rise. My understanding is Rise does not support branching per se, but are there any workarounds that would facilitate a learning path-style approach? Say I have a collection of 15 mini courses but all 15 won't apply to every learner. Instead, they would choose their specific occupation or interest on a launch screen, which would then compile a custom curriculum for them (say, they are presented with courses 1, 2, 3, 7, 11, 14 as a "complete" package they proceed through sequentially). How might this be done in Rise, if possible at all?

13 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Chris,

I've got a few ideas for you!

Check out this Rise course that Tom Kuhlmann created. He used a button stack with each button linking to a different lesson to create the feeling of a "branching" interaction. 

Another option would be to provide links within one Rise course to separate learner-specific Rise courses. 

And if you're feeling really creative, try your hand at this tutorial on hiding menu entries to create the "fake branching" effect. 

For LMS tracking, use the tracking option “Track using course completion.” Set your completion percentage at the minimum percent your learners need to view to complete one part of the course. For example, if your course is in two equal parts, you may want to use 50% as the completion percentage.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other ideas the community has for you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Michelle! Are you currently using an LMS? If not, check out Rise.com! 

Rise.com is an all-in-one online training system that gives you one place to create, track, manage, and analyze your training. It includes all the authoring functionality from Rise 360, plus a library of pre-built lessons on common business topics. Once you’ve created a course, you can enroll learners, track their progress, and analyze training effectiveness—all within Rise.com. You can even group courses of similar topics into a learning path

To see it in action, head over to rise.com! You can also email the Rise team at sales@rise.com

Nicole Young

I have a course topic on information security that applies to all employees except for one small lesson that goes deeper for employees who have access to specific information. Is there a way to create a branch so employees who don't need the additional information can skip that content and complete the course, and those who do need it can continue with the content and then complete the course?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Nicole! 

Try using button blocks to branch from one lesson to another. When you're ready to export the course, choose Track using course completion. Choose a completion percentage that will allow the learner to be marked complete even if they skip the optional lesson. 

Let me know if that's what you had in mind!

Gren Foronda

Hi Kerstin! 

We're tracking requests for a learning path (branching) feature in Rise 360, and we'll be sure to update this thread once we have any new information that can help!

In the meantime, you may try one of the suggestions above to apply a learning path feature in your Rise 360 courses.

Ivan Belash

Story to clarify use case:

We have a Data Privacy training created in Rise. It is suitable for our marketing and support, because we discuss examples related to marketing mailing and support tickets.

However, our developers usually click through the training and barely remember information. The reason behind is that there are no examples/situations relevant to developers. So, the training is boring for developers.

In order to not overload the training and keep it engaging, I would like to provide a person with a drop-down list allowing to select their role somewhere at the beginning of the course. A selected value should be utilized to automatically switch tabs to the matching role or jump to lessons, so that a person receive examples relevant to their role.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Ivan! 

Instead of using Rise 360, Storyline 360 would be a great option for your training that would allow a learner to navigate to the content that is relevant to their job role. The triggers and custom navigation options in Storyline make it easier to design a branched training like the one you have in mind. 

Would using Storyline for this course be an option for you?