Faking a branching interaction?

Nov 30, 2016

Is there a way to fake a branching interaction in Rise? I want my learners to only view the content that applies to them.

47 Replies
Bret Jorgensen

Hi Leigh - An additional option would be to provide links within one Rise course to separate 'learner specific' Rise courses. 

Here a sample of what I'm talking about. See the Labeled graphic in this "Common Area" lesson.  

Each marker on the labeled graphic links to an external Rise course. All that's used for the link is the Share URL from each course.

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it will spark an idea of how you can better serve your learners. 

Career Time

Related to this, is there a way to hide a lesson from view in the menu?  I had been exploring the button stacks as a way to create a branched scenario, but the problem is the learner will still be able to see and select all of the lessons from the menu.  Having the ability to hide lessons from the menu would make the button stacks much more practical for branching.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dawn,

There isn't an option to hide certain lessons from the menu, nor would there be a way to tell it to show certain lessons within the menu based on the path that the user is taking. If that is a hang up for your course creation, you may want to look a bit further at the suggestion offered by Bret as well - that would like the user to a new, external course and that version would have the individual menus specifics to the branch they're choosing.

Leigh S

Almost all of these are great solutions if I didn't have limitations with my LMS... it requires either a quiz or viewing all slides. Completion quizzes historically work very poorly in our LMS, and require a lot of customization to work properly (so Storyline is OK for this, but not yet for Rise). THanks everyone for the suggestions!

Applied Learning

Bret, the link for the "Common Area" doesn't work for me.  Could you please provide it again?

Also, I want to do something similar but what I've found is that if I use a share URL, that URL is fixed.  So when i export the course and upload to my LMS, the URL doesn't point to content on my website but it still points to articulate content.  Any ideas of what I can do to have all URL's point to the right content after it's been exported?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Andrew!

Sorry that Bret's content is no longer available. 

I did create something similar so that I can understand what you are reporting here.

• Created a Rise course that I want to use within another Rise course
  • Created Rise course, included share link from 1st course, and published to LMS
  • When clicking hyperlink, content goes to Rise

Is that what you are asking? Are you expecting that link to live within your LMS now? You would need to publish that Rise course to your LMS and have a share link in order for it to work in that way.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding your question.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.