Merging multiple complete Rise courses to create a single Rise course

Jan 22, 2021

I have five completed Rise courses (Scorm 1.2) that perform as expected.

Is there a way to create a new single Rise course and *import* the content from each of the other five?

My LMS, unfortunately, cannot be used to set up a 'topics' multi-part course and track user progression in each of the five courses  - it can only track the completion of one SCORM.

6 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Paul,

Yes it is possible to combine your 5 course into one Rise course. Choose one of your 5 Rise courses to become the "master" course, or create a brand new master course if you want to keep all of the old courses intact.

Go to the each of the other Rise courses in turn, and one-by-one copy each of the Rise Lessons from the donor courses to the master course.

In the master course, you can change the order of the Lessons.

See https://community.articulate.com/series/rise-360/articles/rise-360-outlining-a-course-with-section-headers-and-lesson-titles#copy-across-courses 

Kate Ansbro Laya

Hi, I have a follow up question to this.

I have a similar situation in that I have developed a series of 4 linked courses and have realized that it is logistically quite complicated for users to navigate in and out of the 4 courses. I'd like to combine all 4 courses into a single "mega" course. 

However, each of my courses currently has an exam associated with it. Is it possible to keep the exams attached to the content of each course (e.g. have exams periodically placed between chapters/lessons) rather than having a single "master" exam at the very end?

Thanks!

Lauren

Karl Muller

Hi Cassie,

Keep in mind that a Microlearning is essentially a Rise course that consists of a single Lesson. The Microlearning features only work in this environment. 

There isn't a way to "convert" a microlearning to a Lesson within a Rise course, but you can copy the microlearning blocks into a new Rise course using Block Templates.

With the exception of the microlearning title page, you can save all of the other blocks in your microlearning to a new block template.

Then go to your Rise course, and insert the microlearning blocks from the Block Template library. It's quick and easy. 

Please note that by following these steps, your microlearning  will no longer function as a microlearning, and it will revert to a being a regular Rise Lesson.

See https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Creating-Sharing-and-Reusing-Block-Templates 

Tim St. Clair

SCORM allows multiple separate packages inside a package. SCORM was designed for multiple packages, but most authoring tools only work with one. Whether or not your LMS supports this isn't part of the SCORM spec unfortunately, and a lot of them that I have used won't respect multiple SCOs within a single package.

Articulate won't give you any easy tools for doing what you're looking for either, but it is possible if you don't mind getting your hands dirty in XML files. Rustici had a barebone guide on it.

https://support.scorm.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051563253-Combining-Multiple-SCOs-Into-One-SCORM-Course

Effectively each SCO inside the final package would result in a new <organization> node inside the <organizations> parent. You can get quite technical in determining shared or separate resources for each SCO, again it all depends on the capabilities of the LMS you use the package in.

The "accepted" answer is to just copy everything back into one course, which is exactly the kind of double or triple handling you're usually seeking to avoid.