NEW IN RISE 360: Closed Captioning

Feb 04, 2020

We’ve just released a powerful new feature in Rise 360: closed captioning. Now you can upload closed caption files to videos to make your content more accessible. 

It’s easy to add closed captions to your Rise 360 courses. Just click Edit and select Manage captions in any block that showcases a video. Select the language, and then add your file. You can add as many languages as you like.

We hope you love this helpful new feature!

150 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi MacKinzie,

Thanks for opening a case about this issue! That's a smart move — our Support Engineers are well-equipped to solve these kinds of problems!

My teammate, Renson, reached out to you on 2/28/20. He would love to see your course in action. 

1. Open your Rise 360 course, and click Share at the top of the page. Copy the URL that appears.
  2. Paste that URL into the Description box of this form. That form links directly to your case with Renson.
  3. Click the blue Upload File button. 

Renson will receive the URL and respond back with his findings!

David Kettle

Hi Alyssa,

I've got the original captions .vtt file, so I'm not looking to simply get a copy of the captions.

I was thinking more that including the captions in the pdf would be more useful to the end user, rather than just an image of the video, they would be able to get some useful information on the video content by reading the captions.

David Kettle

That's how we used to provide the transcript before CCs were possible in Rise, now that they are available, we are using them instead as they are the best accessibility option.

I'd rather not have to have the same content in twice or an alternative version of the module just for print variations.

Hayley Mierzwa

Hi! When I export my course to SCORM and upload it to our LMS (SumTotal), the captions are not displaying when I launch the course from SumTotal. Are there any settings I need to change to ensure that the CC is included in the SCORM package and will be visible when launched from the LMS? Thanks!

Jeffrey Fazakerley

Hello, I loaded captions to multiple videos in my Rise course. Then I published the course for the web and hosted it on our server. I also published a SCORM 2004 4th edition for our LMS. The captions work perfectly on our LMS. But when you access the course via our web servers, the captions do not work. Any thoughts? 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, Hayley — I would suggest testing your SCORM output file in another LMS environment, like SCORM Cloud. Then you can compare the behavior in SCORM Cloud to your LMS experience to try to parse out Rise 360 issues versus LMS issues.  We are happy to help you with that testing if you'd like to share your output file!

Hi, Jeffrey — When you published your course for Web, did you follow these steps? Did you make any changes to the published output file before hosting it on your web server? 

Jeffrey Fazakerley

Hi Alyssa! Yes, I did follow those instructions exactly. I did not make any changes to any files when I uploaded to our server. I even verified that the caption files were in the assets folder. The video player shows that there are captions, but when I select “English” the captions do not appear on the player.

Here's the project loaded to our server: http://services.brandman.edu/cii/1248/teacher-credential-program/index.html 

Jeffrey Fazakerley

Hi Cari-Ann, Articulate's support suggested the following and it fixed our issue:

"Since it works in the Share link, publishing to an LMS and another webserver like AWS. Please check with your admin and see if adding VTT as a MIME type in your web server will resolve the closed captions issue in your Rise course."