NEW IN RISE 360: Closed Captioning

Feb 04, 2020

We’ve just released a powerful new feature in Rise 360: closed captioning. Now you can upload closed caption files to videos to make your content more accessible. 

It’s easy to add closed captions to your Rise 360 courses. Just click Edit and select Manage captions in any block that showcases a video. Select the language, and then add your file. You can add as many languages as you like.

We hope you love this helpful new feature!

150 Replies
Alina Turcu

Good morning, 

I am also trying to add captions to a video and I was wondering if any of you created the .vtt file with the subtitles. I don t own the captions for the video in my language and I wanted to know if I can do it myself. If so, can you please provide me with a template?

Best regards, 

Ioana Cepoiu

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Ioana!

What language do you need?

You can create a .vtt file by uploading your video to YouTube and using their automatic captioning feature (this works on private and public videos). Automatic captions are available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.

Here's our full guide to adding closed captions in Rise 360. 

Alina Turcu

Hello,

The languare I need is Romanian, that's why I was asking if I can do it myself, the translation and then upload it to the video. Is it possible and how hard is it to prepare such file?

Thanks,
Ioana

[semnatura4-14]

Ioana Cepoiu
L&D Instructional Designer

Provident Financial România

M: +4 0754 222 209
W: www.provident.ro

Provident proudly supports www.sigurantafinanciara.ro
Follow us on LinkedIn

Please consider the environment before printing this message.
[cid:image004.jpg@01D66591.576B6E50]

This message contains privileged and confidential information, intended solely for the addressee and protected by the applicable legislation. If you receive this in error, please telephone to Provident Financial Romania on +40 21 312 22 66 and delete the message from your system. Please note that unlawful access to, handling and transfer of the information may result in legal consequences. Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

David Kettle

The Web VTT format / standard is set by the w3 consortium. This is their official page for it https://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1 it has examples and you can get quite fancy with the formatting, they have lots of examples of how to do the formatting. For a basic file though it's easy:

• Make a plain text file and save it with the file type at the end of the file name as .vtt
  • Start the Text file with "WEBVTT"
  • separate captions / content with 2 line breaks between each caption / content
  • time code is on the line before each caption in the format hh:mm:ss.fff or mm:ss.fff

Most basic example:

WEBVTT

00:00.000 --> 00:08.000
This is a test.

00:08.000 --> 00:40.000
This is the second line.

00:50.000 --> 01:05.000
This is the final line.

The captions will show in this example between 0-8 seconds, 8-40 seconds and 50s - 1min 05s.

Hope that helps.

David Kettle

So I'm assuming at this point that the text (the content) is formatted appropriately and what you need to do is save the file as the right type.

Word tries to control the document type, but there is a way around this. You need to add the file name and the ending, all in quotes.

When you save your document, you need to select File - Save As, unfortunately in the latest versions on Word, you can't use the window that this provides, it gives an error :( the way around this is to select 'more options', this loads the original 'save as' pop-up window, where the save in quotes works ok.

1. File
  2. Save As
  3. More options
  4. Select file type: plain text (do this before putting the name in or it tries to force the filetype to .txt)
  5. Add the name in quotes, e.g. "example.vtt"
  6. Save
  7. accept formatting as windows default

This should give you a file which is correctly formatted.

Perry Papageorgiou

It's great that Closed Captions has been added to Rise and from an accessibility perspective that's even better!  I've just added CC to a course I'm building and followed the instructions but I can't test it in Preview mode - the instructions say you have to test it in an LMS or on a web server. 

I'm working with a large organisation at the moment and they have tested the Rise courses we are building from an accessibility point of view. They did come up with a number of issues and I'm aware you are working towards certain enhancements. 

If CC can't be tested in Preview mode, and only exported into an LM or web server, then how should accessibility testing be done? Via a link or should it also be exported to an LMS or web server to get a true testing?

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

Amit Bhadola

Its great feature specially when it comes with multiple language for CC text. I have tested this with English language and its working perfectly fine. However, when I tried the same for Korean language, the CC text is not visible. 

Could you please suggest what could be the reason? I am using notepad file for CC text and saving them as .VTT format.

For reference I have attached the .vtt files of English and Korean language. Please suggest how to resolve this.

Chino Navarro

Hi Amit,

Thank you for posting the VTT files. I uploaded the files into a test Rise 360 course, and I, too, wasn't able to see the Korean closed captions. I opened the VTT file and found that there is a space in between the time stamp and the Korean text. I deleted the space and reuploaded the file, and now I can see the text. Can you try it on your end?

David Kettle

Hi Shelley,

I export captions from Adobe Premiere as a .srt file, I then  use this website https://www.webvtt.org/ to convert .srt formatted text to .vtt format.

You don't need to download anything, you open the .srt file in a text editor, copy the text, paste the .srt format text into the website's text entry box and click convert.

It gives you a second text box with the .vtt format text you can then select and paste into another text document and save with the .vtt file format.

I've successfully used the text it outputs as .vtt files with Rise and it shows as Closed Captions with no problem.

Regards

David