Note Taking Using Freeform Question

Apr 23, 2021

I am creating a course in Rise 360, but want to have note-taking ability. Therefore, I went to Storyline and created an interaction using a Freeform question. I'd like to be able to Submit (as a Save option) to save the information entered into the field, but I'd also like the user to be able to revisit this and add information to it. 

Since there isn't a scene after this one, I can't "Submit" or click Next in the embedded Storyline scene (because there is nothing to go to). How can I save this interaction without it progressing to a separate slide in the Storyline, while also allowing it to be edited in the future by visiting it via the course navigation?

8 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Laura! 

Thanks for reaching out! We're currently tracking requests for a survey block in Rise 360. I'll add you to this list. 

For now, a workaround would be to use an Embed Block and use something such as Google Forms or another 3rd Party service to Embed a block for your learners to take notes or submit a free form answer.

Laura Boling

Thanks, Renz. 

Google Forms doesn't allow for the for to be "saved" and revisited later without turning on response editing and using a link to edit the response (as opposed to editing right within the course). 

Is there a way to create a survey block in Storyline that I could embed in Rise 360? Of course, I would like for it to save/be editable within the course so it can be added to/revised later. Since it's a training course/manual, I want them to be able to take notes day after day.

Thanks,
Laura

Holly Kidson

I think I'm already on the list of folks who want that survey feature, but just in case I'm not, add me!  I really want to create embedded workbook-style questions for reflection, notetaking, and personalization of learning.  Right now, we either use Google Forms or have them download an editable PDF, but nether is ideal.

If this feature becomes a reality, can I make a request that Rise collects all the responses and returns them in a comprehensive PDF at the end of a course?  So learners can reference their notes later?

Laura, I haven't been able to do that with Storyline but I haven't spent a ton of time trying.  Maybe we've got some Storyline gurus here who can shed some light on that.  That would be awesome!!

Laura Boling

I would love to hear more. I feel my biggest issue currently is creating a notes area using Storyline and then embedding it into Rise, BUT since it's only one scene/one slide in Storyline, it's not advancing to anything and therefore, doesn't save it's state or resume to that saved state upon returning to the course.