Is there a way to pass infromation between Rise and Storyline?

Mar 24, 2023

Is there a way to pass information between rise and storyline? I would like to be able to have interaction pass information so it can be accessed later. I also would like to be able to exchange information between different embedded storyline components in rise.

1 Reply
John Cooper

Unfortunately RISE doesn't have variables, so it is is difficult to pass specific information like learner input from RISE to Storyline. As you mention, it is possible to insert Storyline blocks in a Rise course which can then capture data input by the learner and store this information in Storyline variables.

The problem - which I suspect you are referring to in the second part of your post - is that, once you exit the Storyline block the data is lost. Re-entering the block will reset the variables to their original state.

We have developed RISE courses that do exchange information between embedded Storyline components and the way we do it is to store the Storyline variables in browser 'local storage'. This is similar to the way in which a website might store 'cookies'.

This works well. If the learner exits the course to resume it later, the data is still held in local storage and the course can be 'resumed'

BUT... if the learner exits the course and then clears the browser cache, or they try to resume the course on a different device or using a different browser, the data will be lost.