One Rise course--multiple translations

Dec 09, 2020

We often need to translate a course into multiple languages. With Storyline, we export our translation file, send that single file to our translation vendor and ask for it to be translated into Language A, Language B, and Language C. We then get 3 translation files back and can import into duplicated versions. For a Rise course, on the other hand, if I need one course translated into those 3 languages, do I need to create 3 duplicate courses--one for each country--export the XLIF file from each of those 3 and send 3 individual files to our translator? Or is there a way to just send one file (since it's the same course) and have them provide the 3 completed translation files back? I think the XLIFF file is course-specific and won't be able to import back into any Rise course except the one it originally exported from, is that right? Just making sure I have the proper workflow down for Rise translations in multiple languages. Thanks!

8 Replies
Thor Melicher

That's right - you have to duplicate the course for each language and then export the XLIFF file.  So for your situation you will need to send 3 XLIFF files.

And now a lengthier answer,

• If you don't make a duplicate and then re-import the XLIFF, you'll simply overwrite the course on each import.
  • If you don't export the XLIFF for each duplicate then when you import the translation you'll get an error.  The XLIFF file is unique to the duplicate hence the reason for the 'duplicate-Export to XLIFF' routine.

I hope that helps!

Katie Wood

Thanks, Thor. That does help. Theoretically, if you don't make a duplicate (or if you only made ONE duplicate and exported one XLIFF file from that single duplicate) and then re-import each of the 3 XLIFF files individually to the same course, could you duplicate each course after it is translated, save that as the official course, then import the next XLIFF (overwriting the previous), duplicate that and save, etc.? In other words, only one XLIFF file would go to our translation vendor, and the duplicating of the Rise course would happen after each XLIFF file is reimported into the same course. 

Thor Melicher

It works! I tried with a Rise 360 template, translated the course into two languages and then did as you said - import the translation and then duplicate the translated course.  

The one draw back to this approach is that you will need to duplicate the original and then work from that duplicate.  If you miss this step then you will overwrite your original so there is some risk involved.  There isn't any way (that I know of) to 'go back' if you overwrite your original.

Thomas Gora

Hello. I have a very similar situation. I want my global learners to access the same Rise course and select their preferred language, which would be Lessons named for each language and would take them to their applicable language.

Would that work? I don't think I could use the export XLIFF option, so I would have to get the lessons translated individually and somewhat manually and copy and paste the translated text back into my Rise course.

Or if my translation vendor has Rise, I could send them a copy of my course and have them translate directly in the course and send back to me?

The other potential hang up would be tracking LMS completion. I would need completion to be based on viewing just one complete lesson. 

Karl Muller

Hi Thomas,

Your biggest problem will be determining completion.

Having learners completing one entire lesson is not an option for determining completion.

For your project, the only option is to set the percentage of the entire course that needs to be viewed to achieve a completed status.

But that percentage can be any part of the course, not confined to just one Lesson.

So if a learner peeks into the English Lesson, then looks at a part of Spanish, and Italian, the learner could potentially be marked as complete without ever completing an entire Lesson in their own language.

To prevent this from happening, you would need to lock down navigation and remove the sidebar menu.

The first page learners would see is where they choose their language using a button block. Selecting a button block will take them to the Lesson that has their language.

Once in that Lesson, they won't have the ability to go anywhere else.

Determining completion could still be an issue, as some languages use more words than others. For example, a Lesson in Spanish is longer than the equivalent English Lesson.

So I'm not sure how you would calculate what percentage of the course needs to be viewed, as all Lessons will not be the same length / percentage.  

Amanda Roschetzky

I really like the solution you suggested here, Katie, as it really simplifies the process. Our translation management system will be much more friendly with using 1 source file to be translated into all of our languages. I just want to double check that this solution was successful in the end before I continue forward with this method.