Preventing images from auto-cropping

Feb 25, 2021

Is there no way to prevent an Rise from auto-cropping an image? I inserted an image from the content library and rise crops out half of it... I've been searching for this trying to figure it out and I can't find any way to stop this. 

12 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi John,

Welcome to the Rise forums.

Based on my experience with Rise, this is what I've found:

Course Theme Cover photo

• Maintains the image width, but crops the top and bottom a lot.

Image Centered Block

• Does not auto-crop.

Image full width block

• Maintains the image width, but crops the top and bottom a bit.

Image & text

• Resizes image to a smaller view. The original size is available on zoom.

Text on image

• Maintains the image width, but crops the top and bottom a lot.

Carousel

• Does not auto-crop.

Two, three and four column grid

• Resizes image to a smaller square view. The original size is available on zoom.

Does this match what you are seeing?

Michael Leinweber

I also have the problem with the two column grid. One image is not reduced in size to fit the column, but randomly cropped. I want to show the complete image, not a cropped version. The onboard crop-feature is no help here. Please allow us to show the full image and Rise should reduce it automatically to the right size.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Michael! Square images work best in the two-column grid block. If your image isn't square already, you can use PowerPoint (or any image editing tool) add white space around the image before uploading it to Rise 360. Here's how:

• Open PowerPoint.
  • Adjust the slide size to a square.
  • Insert the image on the PowerPoint slide. Scale up the image until it fills the height or width of the slide.
  • Align the image to the center of the slide.
  • Save the PPT file as a PNG image.
  • Upload the image to the two-column grid block.

After following these steps, your full image will display without being cropped! 

Denise Patrick-Johnson

Agreed. In the flip card interaction, I am trying to add an icon as the picture and no matter how much I reduce image size, I cannot get Rise to let me use the entire image. It crops half of it out and leave the rest. Cropping to square also does not work.  It be nice to see this fixed without needed to do yet another step in PPT.

Deborah Daigle

What are there the dimensions, or ratios, that we could use for graphics  to prevent the auto cropping from happening within the various image types (especially for images with text and full screen images). I can't seem to find this information anywhere. The cropping feature isn't much help when you need the entire image to appear, say for a chart or something similar. 

Lea Agato

Hi Deborah, 

Here's a document created by Tom Kuhlmann that you can use as a reference for the best image aspect ratio.  

We also have these best practices for images in Rise

If you're having trouble with a specific image or block in your course, please feel free to share the details here, and we'd be happy to help you troubleshoot!

Mel Maldonado-Turner

Why does the temp image in the full width image block show a full 16:9 image and then when I insert my own image it crops to a strip of the image severely cutting off the top and bottom of the image. If I try and adjust the crop, the image strip gets cropped even further vertically and my image is still cut off. 

The crop tool is pretty useless from what I have experienced. 

Lea Agato

Rise 360 content is fully responsive, so your images may have different dimensions as they adapt to different devices and orientations. Blocks like image full-width, text on image, and quote on image cover the entire width of your screen so they get cropped to fit different screen sizes and orientations. For these image block types, we recommend using images where important details won't be lost if the image gets cropped.

Feel free to check out our best practices for images here.

Christopher Allen

I believe the issue we're experiencing is that the full-width image is preserving the same vertical height regardless of the screen width. While I appreciate that the image will load differently on a narrower screen, in my circumstance it would be better if the entire ratio of the image (vertical and horizontal) scaled to the width of the screen. This would make the full-width image taller on a wider screen, by necessity, but would keep any information from being cropped out. 

It feels like the current functionality is built around cosmetic stock images, like the ones in the asset library, that work perfectly fine when cropped away. While building a technically-focused learning module, however, I'm using the full-screen image block to include screen shots as examples where all edges of the image are important. Instead, I use Image Centered to make sure the entire image is viewable, but to see detail the learners will have to click to expand. 

An option in the Format options for the full width image block that locks the ratio would do exactly what I need. 

Suzanne Slattery

This would work for very high resolution single images But this doesn't work for the gallery option which is more desirable for instructional videos with comparative images. I spend a lot of time resizing images for this use and have not found tools that expedite this process. Would a feature that allows a square background upon which you can position your image be something Articulate would do? Thanks!