Reach 360 and Course Due Dates

Feb 20, 2024

As a new administrator in Reach, I am interested in a best practice for applying due dates to courses.  I am running into a dilemma with a course that needs to be taken throughout the year at different times by different groups.  I want to apply a due date to the course, however, not everyone's due date is the same.  My preference is to have one course and multiple groups assigned to that course as the reporting requires unique groups.  However, do I also now need to create a new version of that course each time a new group needs to take it (if I intend to use due dates)?  Thank you.

10 Replies
John Bishop

Thanks.  It looks like this is the best way to keep one course available to multiple groups and still use due dates for each.  Does anyone know the answer to this question: If two groups are taking the course at the same time - you enroll the first group with a 14 day due date.  Then a week later you assign the same course to another group and CHANGE the due date to 30 days.  That change ONLY applies to the second group b/c the due date is applied at enrollment.  The change would NOT impact the first group that was enrolled in the course (they would still be on their 14 day due date timeline).  Is this accurate?

John Bishop

Thanks Jose, but how does that impact the Days option.  If the course has 20 days set for a due date (not a specific date) does that keep pushing out 20 days each time a new person is enrolled in the course?  For example if I enroll Person A on January 1. and then when they have 5 days left to complete I enroll Person B, does person A now have 20 days to complete the training? or will their timeline of 5 days left remain?  Thanks

Steven Benassi

Hi John!

Happy to jump in here!

When setting the due date by the 'day', the due date begins counting down from the date the learner was enrolled, and it does not push forward. All learners will be given the same number of days, but the actual date is 20 days after the learner was enrolled in the course.

If you enroll Group A on Jan 1st, the course will be due on Jan 21st, which is 20 days later.
If you enroll Group B on Jan 10th, the course will be due on Jan 30th. Both groups will have exactly 20 days to complete the course, and that is not altered if a new group is enrolled later.

I would suggest using a 'by date' due date when you want all learners to complete the course on the exact same day. Use a 'by days' due date when you want to give learners the same amount of time to complete the course, but they were enrolled at different intervals.