Really locking down the navigation

Jan 18, 2017

Hello,

I understand you can restrict the navigation to a linear experience in settings. Is the a way to lock it down further and require a learner to click a button to advance?

Or maybe even hide the footer navigation would work for my purpose. 

Thanks

36 Replies
Deirdre Cristante

I think this functionality has been updated. I see that I can change the lock settings on a Continue button to "complete the block immediately above" or "Complete all blocks above". I have it set to "complete all blocks" so that the user won't continue to a "Congratulations!" block until they have completed all content. This is not working--continue is available as soon as I complete the content in the block with the button. Navigation is set to free, which is the design choice for this course. Does this only work if it is set to restricted? 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Deirdre,

Thanks for reaching out! If the continue button is set to "Complete all blocks above," then it should not become enabled until the learner interacts with all the blocks above the continue button.

Since that doesn't seem to be working correctly, would you mind sending us the course Share URL so we can take a closer look?

You can send that link to us privately by clicking here. 

Danique Wyckoff

Do you know if audio restrictions will be added to the Rise roadmap anytime soon? This is one of my biggest obstacles with selling Rise as the authoring tool for customers.

I already use the restricted navigation, but when learners can click straight through interactions without watching videos or listening to audio that is inside the interaction like process and timeline it defeats the purpose of the continue bar. To be clear I'm not looking for autoplay but a requirement that they listen to audio or watch the video before the interaction is "complete" and can move on.

We are consistently having to recreate Storyline blocks to "use" these interactions and ultimately makes using Rise more complex than necessary. 

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Renz Sevilla

Hi Danique,

For video blocks, you should be able to disable forward-seeking in the video block Settings. Click Edit in the top left corner > Settings, uncheck Allow forward seeking.

For audio blocks, we're tracking requests for this feature to disable forward-seeking in audio.

I'll let you know if we make any changes that help!

Alex Bradley

Hi everyone, I have a question about the Restrict Navigation option in Rise.

I want to use the Restrict Navigation option for a course I have designed in Rise. However, after a learner has completed the course and passed the quizzes, they will need to return to the course several times over a period of about 6 months to refer to different parts of the course. During this 6 months, I would like the learner to be able to freely navigate the course to quickly access the content they need to refer to. 

Is this possible?

Lea Agato

Hi John,

You can try disabling navigation in your course. Here's how:

• Edit your course
  • Click Theme > Navigation
  • Scroll through the options and switch Navigation to Off

If you turn off the navigation on your course, the course outline and menu options are hidden, and learners can only start the course from the cover page. 

I hope this helps!