RISE - Accidentally deleted an entire lesson (oh no!)

Feb 12, 2018

In an effort to figure out how to create another section in a course in Rise, I accidentally deleted the entire lesson!?! How can I get it back?  

41 Replies
Lindsay Morgan

And this evening, lost 2 days of work on a project about to go live in a matter of days with work still to do on other courses.  The sense of loss here is palpable.  No more apologies please. 

Please state where this issue is on the priority list for fix with a time line. I have multiple authors working on a course, and our projects go external.  I cannot risk one accidently deleting the work of another (never mind the risk of a single mouse click wiping one's own work).

In the meantime, could other forum users recommend alternative platforms that do have the necessary functionality so that I can protect my future content?

Allen Janney

I echo disappointments expressed over this issue that remains unresolved after this number of years. Even if it is too difficult to engineer a longer lasting undo button, there should be at minimum a screen popup to verify the users intent to delete entire sections. I've had the experience a few times when I thought I was deleting an item without realizing that I was deleting the entire section. This shortfall has gone on way too long. 

Larry Blair

I expect it would be fairly trivial to take 'state of play' snapshots (duplicates) of courses 'edited in the last 15 minutes' every 15 minutes and stick those courses in an 'automatic backups' folder automatically. A bit more server overhead of course but important by the look of it!

My team is having some other .. .dramas around the inaccessibility of source files with Rise. This whole 'protect your clients from hurting themselves' isn't a nice to have or just something to write off as 'user error' - cloud software takes away your clients' ability to do their own version control - you don't allow us to save/store our Rise courses locally, so you need to have better restore systems in place for these horrorshows. I love Storyline, but hate using Rise for these reasons. 

Lea Spille

One more vote for the please prioritize a version control feature!

At the very least, please increase the time the Undo button is visible. I realized my mistake just in time to see the Undo button disappear, so frustrating!

Or a pop up to confirm deletion for something of that magnitude.

It's such an elemental feature of so much software that you just don't expect it to not be there. Like getting into a car and realizing at the traffic light that there are no brakes...

Melissa England

I just accidentally deleted a very long lesson that I created. Someone at Articulate has control over these setting. No one should have to recreate anything. There should be a button to be able to get it back that does NOT have time restrictions. I don't understand why that is not available. It's so frustrating!

Alyssa Gomez
Hi everyone! We've improved the visibility and functionality of the undo notification that appears when you delete blocks and lessons.

The new undo notification appears for 12 seconds with a timer indicator. If you need longer than 12 seconds, hover your mouse over the notification to pause the timer. You'll also see multiple notifications when more than one block is deleted.

Let us know if you have any questions about this enhancement!
Anonymous User

+1 Please implement a reliable way to recover deleted items. Recover deleted items is a safety net that needs to exist in an Enterprise course creation tool.  I just hit the delete button by accident, could not get to the undo button quick enough, and now have to recreate the lesson from scratch.