Rise and Accessibility

Mar 25, 2019

Hi Articulate wizards!

Does anyone know of a resource that details what accessibility options are and are not available in Rise? Trying to build mindfully here and it would be great to be able to see at a glance what accessibility options are and are not available with Rise against other Articulate tools to help decide before starting which authoring tool is best for a specific course.

Thank you!

14 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for reaching out! So far, we’ve increased the contrast for built-in course features, added alt text for images, and added keyboard-accessible navigation. And we’re currently working on full screen reader support.

There's more information on our tools and accessibility here.

I hope that helps! :) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Alyssa Gomez

Hello everyone! I’m happy to share our Rise 360 Accessibility Collection, which includes the VPAT to describe how Rise 360 conforms to WCAG 2.1 Level AA criteria.

We also updated our roadmap to include Rise 360 features we’re continuing to develop to better support WCAG.

Let me know your questions and experiences building accessible courses for all!

Sara McCarthy

Happy to see all the new accessibility features in Rise. I'm testing a Rise course using JAWS. The accordion interaction worked great, but I am having issues with the tab interaction. After I select a tab, I can't get JAWS to read the content. I can't figure out what key(s) need to be pressed after selecting the tab. I used these instructions to select but then what?

If I tab through without selecting the additional tabs it will read only the first tab after navigating through the rest. 

Joan York

I'm using Rise on a public university website, so accessibility is a requirement.  I made a test course with most of the Rise blocks added so I could check which ones were readable by a screen reader.  I used the free one from NVDA (https://www.nvaccess.org/download/).  I was happy to find that most blocks worked great and the screenreader was able to read everything.  There were a few exceptions though, which I've listed below.

• Matching knowledge check question:  Text on right side was not read
  • Sorting:  Top card text could not be read
  • Quote block C:  text was not read
  • Flashcard grid:  alt text only read for images on the front of the first card.

There are also a number of images where you can't add alt text, including the background image for text on image and quote on image block.

I applaud Articulate for the accessibility features that have already been added.  I hope that these last few screenreader issues can be fixed too.