38 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lawrence, 

You can add audio to each of the elements within a lesson, such as a step within a process interaction. You'll see the option there to add media or record audio. 

If you're looking at using a Block type, there is one specific to just audio files or video files, so those ones would just be the audio/video with no other slide content.

If you wanted to share a bit more information about the content you're looking to include and display we can offer some ideas about which lesson or block type would work best! 

Lawrence Eaton

We have the need to have both the visual slideshow & the voiceover with it, Ashley.  I was looking through Rise and noticed there were interactive, multimedia and image sections for the slides but couldn't work out, from my brief recce, if I could do a slide with an image+text+audio?

Many thanks

Michele Schuck

But Crystal...the learner has to manually click on the audio block, correct? Or is there a way for the audio to automatically run within the block or on the page without the manual click. That's what I really need for a project I'm working on. My audio doesn't need to be placed in a specific spot on a timeline, as in Articulate 360...but it does need to just play from the beginning of the block/page. Is that at all possible?

Crystal Horn

Hey there, Michele. Thanks for joining the conversation!

Media in Rise must be clicked to play (unless it’s an animated image, like a .GIF).  

We have shied away from auto-start of media because it’s not a web-standard experience on multi-device.  Most phone browsers actually prevent auto-play of media.   It usually needs to be user-initiated.

I’ll let our team know that auto-playing audio is a feature you’d like to see!

Michele Schuck

Thanks Crystal,

What you're saying makes sense. I appreciate you sending this info to the Rise team, too, though.

Rise would be the perfect tool for the particular, short course I'm designing. I was going to try - for the first time - to export it to SCORM 1.2 for our LMS. It looks like I'll need to create it with Articulate 360, instead; which has been pure pleasure, by the way. :)

Thanks again!

Michele

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Dave, glad to hear you're checking out Rise!

You can record a voiceover in a labeled graphic interaction. Simply click on the plus icon to edit the label, then click Record Audio at the bottom of the edit panel. 

For a blocks lesson, you can record a voiceover in a Multimedia >> Audio block.

Now let's narrow down why you're having trouble recording audio. What browser are you using? These are supported for Rise authoring. Keep in mind Safari does not support audio recording within the browser, so the 'Start Recording' feature is only available in Firefox and Chrome. 

Dave Baker

Thanks Alyssa and Michael that's great !

We have Articulate 360 so I can record into SL 3 no problem using the mic on my laptop, but no Camtasia. Is there another way to upload from SL ? I have checked re my browser. We have Firefox 45.7 across our service. Should this be sufficient to author and view RISE voice overs ?

Dave 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Dave! Let's tackle these questions one at a time. :)

• You asked, "Is there another way to upload from SL?" Can you tell me a bit more about what you're trying to upload? 
  • The latest version of Firefox is supported for Rise authoring, and that would be Firefox 54. Could you try updating your browser to the latest version, and then record the audio again?
Ozlem Peevey

We have a requirement to add audio (with an option for it to start automatically) to the very first page of the course, where you see the course overview/description in text  (also when the user clicks Details button). I could not see a way to do it. Is there a way to do that?

Many thanks,
Ozlem

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Ozlem,

Although adding audio to the course main page in Rise isn't an option yet, I'd love to let our team know about your idea. Would you mind telling me a little more about why adding audio to the course main page would come in handy for you? What type of scenario would you use it in? 

Thanks so much for letting us know how we can make things better!

Ozlem Peevey

Hi Alyssa,

In our case, we have developed a series of videos based on a futuristic scenario of the company for our internal staff. Through stories within that scenario we deliver key messages, things to look out for and some tips.

These videos  and supporting resources for employees' use in their real work life are accessed trough a Rise course. When our audience comes to the very first page of the Rise course, we think that they may not read the introductory text, about the futuristic context of the videos, so we would like to have a quick audio clip there.

I hope this explains the need and our thinking.

Thank you very much.  It would be great if you could add this feature in.

Stephanie Vander Meersch

Has this feature been implemented?  I know many times when we are creating content, we run into the same situations where we will put content in the block and the SME may want to record a voice over in the backgroud to play automatically to discuss the content.  This is most likely not word for word, for example it could be a graph of statistics and the voiceover could be a brief summary.  Of course this could be created in SL or PPT and imported, however the flow isn't as smoothe as creating it in Rise.