Rise and SCORM 1.2 export issues

Jan 15, 2021

We are  using the Saba LMS and have previously applied the patch for cmi.core.exit to some of our courses. The patch Articulate supplied in early 2019 is within the SCORM 1.2 api in the scormdriver.js file.

After some testing with different export settings we've discovered that no matter which LMS you choose in the export settings for SCORM (SCORM2004 v* or SCORM 1.2) the scormdriver.js file will always automatically pick the SCORM2004 api. The strLMSStandard variable is always set to "AUTO", which will never result in the SCORM 1.2 api being invoked.

Rise courses published in the past set the strLMSStandard variable to "SCORM" rather than "AUTO" when SCORM 1.2 was chosen as the LMS.

11 Replies
Elizabeth McCroskey

I have noticed this same issue. We publish as SCORM 1.2 and I was recently troubleshooting some issues with Saba Cloud recording Rise completion. We added a Quit button to the course which seems to have fixed the issue we were having, which was learner status was not being stored if they exited using the LMS modal window close button.  

However, I was viewing the Content Communication log for the content, which shows calls from content to LMS. The Rise content is using the call cmi.completion_status = completed which I believe is a SCORM 2004 call. (cmi.core.lesson_status would be the SCORM 1.2 call.) I would be curious to know why Rise content published as SCORM 1.2 is the SCORM 2004 completion status,

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Elizabeth! 

The cmi.core.lesson_status is for SCORM 1.2 and it Indicates whether the learner has completed and satisfied the requirements for the course. 

The cmi.completion_status is for SCORM 2004 and it indicates whether the learner has completed the course.

They're both used for passing along course information, but due to differences between SCORM 2004 and 1.2, they have different capabilities.

You could be seeing the cmi.completion_status because your LMS has exposed more than one endpoint. If it's causing an issue for your courses, let us know and we can take a look at your logs! You can open a case here to connect with our support engineers. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi George! Thanks so much for sharing that case number with me. I'll let our Support Engineers know about the information shared in this discussion thread.

If someone in this discussion is experiencing the same problem, we ask that they create a new case and reference this discussion on the case form

Elizabeth McCroskey

I checked a Rise course published in Aug 2019 with SCORM 1.2 and the Content Communication log shows  cmi.core.lesson_status and not cmi.completion status. So it does appear that something has changed between then and now. I don't know if this is causing any issue with our courses but it does seem to support George's original theory that SCORM2004 api is being selected for SCORM 1.2 content now. I will enter another case using the link above.

Elizabeth McCroskey

I finally entered my case today - 02675057 - because we ran into completion issues with a Rise course with a quiz. To try to fix, I manually modified the scormdriver.js in the strLMSStandard variable to "SCORM" (as mentioned above) and that fixed my issue. I no longer see those SCORM 2004 calls and the content tracks properly. Of course, we don't want to manually modify our Rise output but I think that the scormdriver.js may be the issue.