Rise + attachments + iPad - how do we make this work?

Dec 10, 2020

Hello! Looking for some guidance from this group. Our business is a BYOD organization so we see a significant group of users on iPads completing training. We recently switched to Rise as a standard for our compliance courses, which often have a number of PDF forms that we expect learners to open and review as part of the training. On iPads, expecially but it happens in some browsers as well, opening the attachement takes over the current browser tab (we ask that users exclusively use Google Chrome to complete training because it interacts reliably with our LMS - Cornerstone). So the user has to know to hit the Back button to return to the training but then, they'll lose their progress in the module and have to start over. 

Has anyone found the right settings or best practice? I'm thinking we have to give instructions for all possible devices so they can open the files in a separate window/tab but that's going to eat up a lot of space in the course. 

1 Reply
Crystal Horn

Hey Jen. One thing that caught my eye was "they'll lose their progress in the module and have to start over."

If they are taking the training in the LMS, their course progress should be saved even if they refresh the page or close the course. We expect that they'll return to the beginning of the last lesson they were on so they can continue the course. So, the won't show the progress, but if they've completed other lessons previously, they should remain completed.

Can you instruct your learners to long-press the attachment block to force the option to open the PDF in a new tab? Let me know if that works in your testing!