Rise quiz scoring for multiple response questions

Jun 02, 2020

Hi.

How are my Rise quizzes scored in regard to multiple response questions? If all correct answers are not selected, does that count as one wrong question? Or is the scoring affected by how many responses within that question are either hit or missed?

Thanks!

13 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Michele!

The multiple response question is scored as correct if the learner selects all of the correct answer choices. The question will be marked incorrect if they miss any of the correct answer choices. There is no partial credit for selecting some of the correct choices. 

Let me know if that answers your question!

Frederic Galland

Hy Alyssa,

I can't say if my objectives are the same as those of Michele, but in my case, I would like to score a result proportional to the number of right answers selected. I cannot imagine indicating that the question could be marked incorrect when some correct answers have been selected.
Or maybe there is an other way to reach my goals ?

Thanks for your help.

Jenn Bedlington

I have a slightly different challenge.  I want learners to be able to choose some items out of a total of ten items, and any choices are correct.  But if they choose any number fewer than ten, it shows the answer as incorrect.  How can I get rid of the scoring, or hide it?

If it's not possible to do it in Rise, what's the easiest way to construct it in Storyline?

Esther Eccleston

Regarding the initial question/answer from a couple years ago (The multiple response question is scored as correct if the learner selects all of the correct answer choices. The question will be marked incorrect if they miss any of the correct answer choices. There is no partial credit for selecting some of the correct choices. )  Bringing this to the forefront to voice support for an enhancement that will properly score the user. I agree the user should be graded "incorrect" unless they select ALL correct answers. However, the percent is always 0 and that is inaccurate. A quick calculation based upon the total number of responses avl and total correct would be relatively easy and would give more accurate feedback to the user. Thanks!

Judy Nollet

I understand why Articulate doesn't try to give partial credit for multiple-response questions in Rise or in Storyline.

There are so many possible variations, especially related to the responses that shouldn't be selected. For example, someone might want it to add points if the user didn't select a wrong answer. Others might want to subtract points if a user does select a wrong answer. Or not use the state of the wrong answer at all when figuring the partial credit. 

It could also get tricky if you want all questions in a quiz to be worth a given number of points (for example, 10 points). Then how do you divvy up the 10 points for a given question when there are 3 or 4 responses? 

In Storyline, it is possible to do some custom programming to give partial credit for a multiple-response credit. I posted about that and provided a demo file here: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/tip-give-partial-credit-on-multiple-response-questions.

I created the demo because I've seen people ask about this a few times in the Forum. Personally, though, I've never used partial credit for a multiple-response question, and I doubt I ever will. 

Daniel Wurm

How are students supposed to know that a multiple response question requires more than one answer, or even how many answers they need to select? When I tested the question when reviewing it it did not state how many correct answers there were. This is a really basic feature of most course authorship tools. Have I missed something?

Judy Nollet
Daniel Wurm

How are students supposed to know that a multiple response question requires more than one answer, or even how many answers they need to select? When I tested the question when reviewing it it did not state how many correct answers there were. This is a really basic feature of most course authorship tools. Have I missed something?

As Phil said, the standard UI is that multiple-response (>1 correct) questions use checkboxes and multiple-choice (only 1 correct) questions use round "radio" buttons. You'll see this difference in the standard graded questions in Storyline and in Rise:

In addition, many folks add a short instruction at the end of the question, such as "Select the best answer" (for multiple choice) or "Select all that apply" (for multiple response).

• If a learner truly knows the content, they should be able to select the correct number of responses for a multiple-response question without being told how many are correct. However, I have had some clients who request that the instructions indicate the number of correct selections, e.g., "Select the 2 responses that apply." 
Daniel Wurm

Yes, I know that multiple-response questions use checkboxes and multiple-choice questions use round "radio" buttons because I am an instructional designer! But the course is not designed for me!

It needs to be intuitive, FOR THE STUDENT USER EXPERIENCE. This is instructional design 101. Create a course that helps the student learn as efficiently as possible.

All other course authoring tools I have ever used have a default instruction that indicates to the student how many answers they need to select. I should not have to enter this in manually for all my questions. It is a simple tweak to the code in the software and it will save time.

It is extremely frustrating to a student to have to try to guess how many correct answers there might be, and it is extremely frustating for an instructional designer to have to constantly enter this in manually.

Articulate is not cheap. I'm paying over $2000 per year to use it and I am shocked it does not have this basic functionality. I expected better.