Rise tabbed interactions accessibility issue w/JAWS

Jan 22, 2024

Hello everyone,

This may be a user error on my part, which is entirely possible), but after I select a tab and use the Down Arrow key to start reading it, JAWS reads the second available text segment. I've tested this in multiple interactions, including Rise's built-in placeholder tabbed interaction content that displays when you first insert this content block (see attached).

For example, after I arrow to the GAINING INSIGHT tab, press ENTER to select it and then press TAB to bring the tab's content frame into focus, when I then press the Down Arrow key, JAWS will start reading "or take a leisurely walk. Research shows...(etc.)" and skip "To spark creativity, feed your brain..." through "Go surfing".

Again, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be navigating this interaction differently, but I'm doing what seems to be normal JAWS navigation. Note that I don't experience this same issue with the accordion interaction, which is what we often switch to as a substitute for the tabbed block.

Is there a workaround for this issue in a tabbed interaction, or should I be using JAWS or the keyboard navigation differently for this type of interaction?

Thanks much in advance.
1 Reply
Eric Santos

Hello Michelle!

I'm sorry you've hit this snag with navigating tabbed interactions in Rise 360; I'm happy to help! Thanks for the detailed description of the issue.

Interactive tab blocks use the recommended interaction behavior for greater accessibility.

• Use Tab or Shift+Tab to select a tab in the interaction.
  • Use Left and Right Arrows to navigate between tabs.
  • Use Tab to focus on the content in the selected tab.
  • Use Shift+Tab to move back to tabs.

Let me know if pressing Tab immediately after the arrow key and not pressing Enter will do the trick for you! If the issue persists, could I have you connect with us in a case so we can determine what's happening? We'll reach out soon after we hear from you!