Skip the Into Page > Immediately Start Course

Dec 06, 2017

We are working with a large corporation that hosts the rise modules on their internal LMS system. 

Here is an example of one of the assets we created. 

http://dialectic.solutions/wp-content/uploads/samples/RC/P1/How-Values-Boost-Your-Freedom-And-Energy-At-Work/index.html

With some hacks we have been able to add "share this" functionality to the site. We want our users to share what they have learned with the outside world. Part of this would be creating "Teasers" of the rise modules that would sit on the open web, for anybody to view. These teasers would then direct them to the portal where they can signup and pay for the course etc.

Here is an example of our "teaser"

http://dialectic.solutions/RC-DERM/101/shareable/index.html

I want to use the mapping tool option as an item someone could share. HOWEVER. I don't think in this use case we need to have them "Continue" or "Start Course" - I really just want them to come directly to the first lesson. 

So that it's the first thing they view. Is something like that possible, has anybody come across a hack that would accomplish this?

176 Replies
Melissa Harbour

I found the answer I was looking for... After publishing, you can edit the indexAPI.html file with the starting page of your choice. 

1. First you'll need the URL of the page you'd like to start on. Unzip the exported course and in the "scormcontent" folder, open "index.html" in your browser.
  2. Navigate to the page you want and copy the URL after "index.html#". Should look something like:  file:///C:/Users/User/Documents/TrainingPackage/scormcontent/index.html#/lessons/-abcdefghijklmnops?_k=xyzmp30 
  3. Go back to the unzipped course files, in the "scormdriver" folder, open "indexAPI.html" with Notepad++
  4. Search for "StrContentLesson" and find the line: strContentLocation = "../scormcontent/index.html#/preview";
  5. In the indexAPI.html file, replace "preview" with the URL of the page you'd like to start on: 
    strContentLocation = "../scormcontent/index.html#/lessons/-abcdefghijklmnops?_k=xyzmp30";
  6. Save the indexAPI. html file.
  7. Rezip the files and you're good to go!
Jet2 Learn

Hello

We'd be really keen to see a new RIse feature to specify a custom start page in a course - any new s or update on whether this is in the pipeline for a future release?

We've tried following Michael Fimian's tutorial above but both our LMS (Litmos) and Articulate tempshare error when uploading. See attached screenshots.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Paul

Tim Shaunnessey

Hi there -- I'm just starting to use Rise with my organization and would be extremely interested in having an option to skip the start page. I'm using multiple instances of Rise inside a single LMS package and as Melissa said above in that use case I think it's ultimately just an extra unnecessary click. I can try the "hack" versions but that's a tough sell to my leadership as I have to train other staffers on our processes. Just wanted to weigh in. Thanks everyone!

Kirk Swientoniowski

I haven't found a solution. I was stating I'd be interested in a solution. I was using a RISE course as a web object in a Storyline module.

My alternative was to use a share link from the first lesson, although I'd prefer to not have to use Articulate's web server to access the course.

Michele Arrieta

This was just what I needed for a course! It's a one page introduction that leads into other modules, so no need for a lessons page since there's only one "lesson". 

To edit the TinCan publish you'll want to:

1. First you'll need the URL of the page you'd like to start on. Unzip the exported course and open "index.html" in your browser.
  2. Navigate to the page you want and copy the URL after "index.html#". Should look something like: file:///C:/Users/User/Documents/TrainingPackage/scormcontent/index.html#/lessons/-abcdefghijklmnops?_k=xyzmp30
  3. Go back to the unzipped course files and open "tincan.xml" with Notepad++
    Search for "index.html" and find the line: <launch lang="en-US">index.html</launch> 
    In the tincan.xml file, add "#/lessons/-abcdefghijklmnops?_k=xyzmp30/" with the URL of the page you'd like to start on:
    <launch lang="en-US">index.html#/lessons/-abcdefghijklmnops?_k=xyzmp30/</launch>

Note: be sure to include the # at the beginning and / at the end. My first attempt did not include those symbols and it failed when testing on SCORM Cloud.
Jennifer Gray

Hello! I'm adding my name to the list of people who would love to have a simple solution to skip the intro page. I have to hand off the Rise courses to someone else to upload to our website, and I don't want him to have to go through all the extra steps listed above (he's busy enough as it is). i'd love to have the "skip intro page" option in the settings of the course. Thank you for your consideration.