Storyline block load time in Rise

Jul 09, 2020

What influence the load time (by the viewer) of a Storyline block in Rise? I noticed in the preview, sometimes a simple Storyline block, consisting only one slide and several shapes with drag and drop, but it takes a while to load. Is that the internet speed, or there is something in the design that I can do to 'lighten' the load time?

I am not sure if this is a Rise question or Storyline question.

14 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Andreas! 

This article explains how Storyline slides are preloaded, and that includes Storyline blocks. If you're seeing slow loading, it could be due to a poor internet connection. I would suggest testing the Share link on several computers to see if there's any improvement in speed. We're happy to help you test that if you'd like to open a case. 

Crystal Horn

You're welcome, Andreas. When you publish your Storyline 360 interaction to Review 360, you can adjust the quality settings.

Higher values give you higher-quality output but also larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values give you smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower as well.

Tip: Image compression only applies to JPG files.

Alison Harden

I'm interested in this as well. I have two interactive forms that load really slowly (attached) and in another lesson, three interactive forms which load instantaneously. The slow the load ones are 2300 and 1700 kb in size and the instant load ones are only around 500 kb. I'm guessing this is why but it's really frustrating, especially when one of the instant load blocks contains numerical calculations! The slow to load ones do have three radio buttons as well as text fields but I wouldn't have thought it should take so long - like probably 30 seconds or more with the flashing dots. Can someone please help? Thanks!

Brent Birdwell

I have two relatively new laptops.  Both have similar "good" specs. and operate almost identical. Storyline blocks (and especially the audio narration on first SL slide with audio) load slowly on one laptop.  Fast on the other.   Seems to do this on Rise preview as well as after published.

Same internet.  Same distance from router etc.  I've tried different updates, settings, etc and just when I think both computers are about the same - one goes back to slow SL block load...

Zev Shapero

Any update on this issue? It is extremely jarring for the user to see a loading screen for up to 10 seconds! I have published all my storyline blocks at the lowest possible image/video quality and this issues is still persisting. It makes the feature practically unusable. @LeaAgato, it is unreasonable for us to ask users to clear their browser cache or disable any of their browser extensions before launching a course. 

Jose Tansengco

Hi Jeanne, 

I'd recommend testing your course on different devices, such as on another laptop, or your mobile phone. If the behavior only occurs on a few devices, try clearing their browser's cache to see if this helps. If the loading issue can be observed on all of the devices that you test your course on, open a support case here so we can take a closer look at what's happening.