Storyline blocks on mobile - overlay not visible

Feb 09, 2021

Hi community,

I have created a Rise program with Storyline-blocks in it.

I know, that the block will display as a black startscreen with a play-icon on mobile.

But, when the user clicks play, the storyline module opens as an overlay on mobile - but the overlay area is see-through which makes the user experience very confusing.

E.g. if the small close icon is positioned above the title on the page, it is almost impossible to see it. And the user can still scroll the page behind the storyline overlay - which is also quite confusing behaviour.

Is there some fix for this? Can I add some overlay color somehow? So the user can easily see that there is an overlay, that needs to be closed, before the user can proceed in the course? And can the lesson page behind the active Storyline overlay be deactivated, so the user only interact with the active layer of the course?

/Kim

6 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Kim. The Storyline player is controlling this behavior. If you can access the original Storyline file, adjust the player properties to have the menus and controls enabled, and you can uncheck the individual player features:

This will cause the Storyline interaction to open full screen on small mobile devices, and closing those interactions will be much more obvious for learners. We're tracking requests to improve the behavior when Storyline menus and controls are fully disabled, and I'll update here if we make a change!

Caryn Carman

Hi!

@Crystal Horn, following this as I'm having exactly the same issue. Would love to see some enhanced features / options around this, particularly as the behavior difference makes designing aesthetics across devices more challenging. 

Thanks so much, and thank you Kim for your original post! Saved my sanity.

Caryn

Eric Santos

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share! We have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.78.30680.0). An enhancement that's included in this update:

•  Storyline blocks in Rise 360 courses now display full-screen on mobile devices when player controls are turned off.

Please update Storyline 360 to the latest version to take full advantage of this feature.

If you have any questions, please let us know, and we'll be happy to help! You can reach out here or privately in a support case.

DeAnn Bronkhorst

We are still experiencing the same UX frustration even when the player controls are turned off. 

When users select the continue button before closing the Storyline block interaction, the content opens as an overlay, leaving the X of the storyline block inaccessible. 

Is there any way to set up these interactions to avoid the overlay of the "continued" content?