SuccessFactors LMS applying its own Navigational buttons

Apr 03, 2023

Hello,

When I publish Rise 360 to our SuccessFactors LMS it is applying navigational buttons that I do not want.  I have been told by our LMS administrators this is normal behavior for SCORM 2004, but these buttons are new to me.  Also, these buttons do not work, they kick the user out of the course.  I don't want them at all.  My LMS admin said I need to do something to the manifest to "hide" these as they can't be disabled but provided zero guidance on what steps to take or what I need to do to the manifest.  Any guidance provided would be appreciated as it is confusing learners.

Nav buttons

14 Replies
olivia devid

Hello,

To remove the unwanted navigational buttons in your Rise 360 course, you can try modifying the course's SCORM manifest file.

Here are the steps to follow:

1. Export your Rise 360 course as a SCORM package.
  2. Extract the contents of the SCORM package to a folder on your computer.
  3. Locate the "imsmanifest.xml" file in the extracted folder.
  4. Open the "imsmanifest.xml" file in a text editor.
  5. Find the following lines of code:
    <item identifier="page-navigation" identifierref="nav"/> <item identifier="toc-navigation" identifierref="toc"/>
    1. To remove the navigation buttons, delete the above lines of code.
    2. Save the "imsmanifest.xml" file.
    3. Zip the contents of the extracted folder to create a new SCORM package.
    4. Upload the new SCORM package to your SuccessFactors LMS.

By following the above steps, you should be able to remove the unwanted navigational buttons from your Rise 360 course. Please note that modifying the manifest file requires technical knowledge and should be done carefully to avoid breaking the course functionality. It's recommended to make a backup of your original SCORM package before making any changes.

Best Regards       
  6.       Olivia Devid
Karl Muller

Hi Tara,

The SuccessFactors LMS is not behaving correctly. No LMS buttons should appear within the SCORM/Rise Course.

A LMS is responsible to provide navigation within the LMS, and to provide learner  access to get into a SCORM. Once the learner is within a SCORM, the navigation is determined and controlled by the SCORM..

Once the student exits the SCORM, the LMS once again takes over navigation.

john alex

I understand your concern about the navigational buttons appearing in your Rise 360 course when published to your SuccessFactors LMS. While it is true that SCORM 2004 can have built-in navigational buttons, I can help guide you on how to address this issue.

To remove or hide the navigational buttons in your Rise 360 course, you'll need to modify the course's manifest file. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to proceed:

1. After publishing your course, locate the published output folder on your computer.
2. Within the published output folder, you should find a file named "imsmanifest.xml." This file contains the course's manifest.
3. Make a backup copy of the "imsmanifest.xml" file before making any changes. This step is important in case you need to revert to the original version.
4. Open the "imsmanifest.xml" file using a text editor, such as Notepad or TextEdit.
5. Look for the section within the file that describes the navigation. It may contain tags like `<adlcp:completionThreshold>` or `<imsss:sequencing>`.
6. Within the navigation section, you should find properties related to the navigational buttons, such as `previous`, `continue`, or `exit`.
7. To hide these buttons, you can try removing or commenting out the corresponding lines of code. To comment out a line, simply add `<!--` at the beginning and `-->` at the end of the line.
8. Save the modified "imsmanifest.xml" file.

Once you've made these changes, try uploading the updated course to your SuccessFactors LMS and test it to see if the navigational buttons are now hidden. If done correctly, learners should no longer see the unwanted buttons. you can try it by restarting your laptop after doing these steps.

It's important to note that modifying the manifest file requires some technical knowledge, so it's always a good idea to consult with your LMS administrator or technical support team if you're unsure about making these changes.

I hope this guidance helps you in addressing the issue with the navigational buttons in your Rise 360 course. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!

Tara Rohrbach

Hi All, appreciate your feedback.  Editing the manifest file is not a great solution for us, we are running into many issues.  

What I am not understanding, is if we use Next/Prev buttons in the course, where are these EXTRA buttons originating (see attached), we are seeing them in both Rise and Storyline courses. Our LMS Admin is telling us it is our responsibility to edit the manifest that there is no action from the SuccessFactors LMS that will resolve this issue, this leads me to believe this is something within the Articulate products but I do not understand b/c there are already navigation buttons used within the course itself, these are useless, for example if a learner clicks "continue" it closes the course immediately and gives them credit!

Heinrich Bartie

For anyone looking for a solution, here you go.

To fix all of this, here's what you need to do.

Take your published Rise 360 .zip file and extract it somewhere.

Go into the extracted folder, and open/edit your imsmanifest.xml file (I recommend using Notepad++, it's great for this)

There are 2 parts to solving this problem.

1. Adding the missing line to the top of your manifest file.
  2. Adding the code to your manifest file that hides those annoying buttons.

For Part 1 you need to check the very top section of the manifest file. If you compare a manifest file from Storyline 360 output with that of a Rise 360 output you will see there are some lines missing, most importantly, the xmlns:adlnav line that enables the hiding of the elements that we are trying to achieve:

Storyline 360
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<manifest identifier="wpwUr_cb_De7M3C2CYMXohGJzRe6cts1KGHj0ATy" version="1.3"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imscp_v1p1 imscp_v1p1.xsd
                              http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_v1p3 adlcp_v1p3.xsd
                              http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlseq_v1p3 adlseq_v1p3.xsd
                              http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlnav_v1p3 adlnav_v1p3.xsd

Rise 360
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
<manifest identifier="wpwUr_cb_De7M3C2CYMXohGJzRe6cts1KGHj0ATy" version="1.3"
MISSING
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imscp_v1p1 imscp_v1p1.xsd
                      http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_v1p3 adlcp_v1p3.xsd
                      http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlseq_v1p3 adlseq_v1p3.xsd
                      http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsss imsss_v1p0.xsd">

What you need to do is add that missing line (bolded) into your manifest file.

That takes care of Part1

Now you can add the hideLMSUI elements which then forces the LMS to hide those annoying buttons that appear in LMSs like SuccessFactors.

Add the following code under the second <title> row of your Manifest file (In-between the 2nd <title> tag and the <adlcp:dataFromLMS> tag

<adlnav:presentation>
<adlnav:navigationInterface>
<adlnav:hideLMSUI>continue</adlnav:hideLMSUI>
<adlnav:hideLMSUI>previous</adlnav:hideLMSUI>
<adlnav:hideLMSUI>abandon</adlnav:hideLMSUI>
<adlnav:hideLMSUI>exit</adlnav:hideLMSUI>
<adlnav:hideLMSUI>abandonAll</adlnav:hideLMSUI>
<adlnav:hideLMSUI>exitAll</adlnav:hideLMSUI>
<adlnav:hideLMSUI>suspendAll</adlnav:hideLMSUI>
</adlnav:navigationInterface>
</adlnav:presentation>

Once this is done, save the manifest file, and rezip all the contents of the folder back into a .zip file.

Import this "updated" zip file into your SuccessFactors LMS and it should work.

Attached is a fixed example of a Rise 360 manifest file.

Hope this helps anyone else struggling with this!
H
Heinrich Bartie

They are driven by the manifest file that Articulate creates in the output. They are controlled in the manifest file of the course and the LMS just obeys. The problem is that the default output does not hide them by default. If you want to hide them you need to edit the manifest of the course before you import it into an LMS.