Support for Export / convert to PDF or DOCX format in Rise ?

Dec 02, 2016

Is this a feature which is being looked into ?

46 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Maurice, 

Great question - and it's not a feature request I've seen since we launched Rise. Could you share a bit more about what you're looking to do in terms of having a Rise course in a PDF/Word format? Since Rise is designed for the creation of responsive courses which are viewable any any device or platform, especially mobile devices. 

If you're looking at a way to share a Rise course with folks to offer feedback and ideas, we are looking at including the ability to upload Rise courses within Articulate Review per Adam's statement here.  So in the meantime, you'd need to use the standard "Share" link to pass along to SMEs or other who need to take a look at the content. 

Thanks Maurice for that additional explanation. There isn't a way to currently export out the content to a PDF or Word template, although I could see taking individual screenshots and inserting those into a PDF although that's a bit more manual effort. I'll pass this idea along to our team as a feature request as well! 

Hi Leah,

If you export for Web only - No LMS, your users could play the Rise course locally without internet. They'd need the folder that was created as a part of the Export and they'll want to look at opening the Index.html file.  I recorded a quick Peek of the steps I would go through to export and then the file I'd use to test it. 

Hope that helps for your offline users while we continue to investigate the export to PDF option a few others have discussed here. 

Hi Alicia,

This discussion is a bit older with a couple topics -so I just want to clarify which piece you're looking for!

You said a "hard copy" of the Rise course - would an offline version that regulators could view work? If so, take a look at the steps in this Peek video. 

Or

Do you need to have a printable copy in hand? You can use the Ctrl + P option to print each page of the course or save it as a PDF. Adam recorded a nice demo of this using Peek here, right around the 1:05 mark.

I hope this helps!

Charlotte Pedersen

It would still be great to have the Ctrl + P option for an entire course, and not just a single page at a time.

We would like to do training material in one place, and not two. Many users want to have a printed document to refer to when they are in a real life situation. In that case paper simply beats an online solution in speed. Of couse videos and other interactive features won't work, but that's for us to make sure that the printed material still conveys sufficient information. And in many cases the printed document is just to refresh memory and to reassure the user that they are on the right path.

Hi Erick,

It isn't a feature on our roadmap yet, although a few folks have talked about the need for a printable copy or a version they could edit (like a Word doc). I'd love to know more details about what you'd need the PDF copy for as that'll help our product team evaluate potential solutions. Feel free to share the ideas here in ELH or tell our product team about it here!

In case you're wondering, here's how we manage all of the ideas we receive!

Stevie Cheree Cassidy

Hi Ashley,

We also need this as a feature. The requirement for audits must be PDF or word - no online. This feature seems to be a highly requested or enquired topic, so I when will it be added to the roadmap? The workarounds are not an option for us.

Can you please advise if this is going on the next list of iterations for update?

Thanks,

S

Riotta Scott

I'll chime in to say that my company needs to be able to publish a Word manual as well. We are currently using Oracle UPK and have decided not to renew, which is why I'm evaluating Articulate. I have not found another content authoring tool out there that outputs to both online and print format, so if Articulate offers that, it will hands-down beat the competition. (The other tools we're evaluating have print features, but they just print slides like you would see if you printed PowerPoint content.)

For it to be the most useful to my company (university, actually), it should convert the headings and subheadings into styles - heading1, heading2, etc., so that I can generate a Table of Contents in the Word document.

It seems like that should be doable, but I don't know how it would handle lists. We use numbered lists to list the steps in a procedure. Most steps include an image of a portion of the screen. The Lists block in Rise is pretty, but not very user friendly since you have to add an Image block between each List block. In order to make the next List block display the appropriate number, you have to add numbers under the third number until you get to the one you want, (say 6 for instance), and then delete all of the numbers above that one (1 through 5).  A few of our processes have a large number of steps, so this procedure isn't very useful to us.  (Other than that, I really love Rise.)

Hi Sherie,

We get tons of ideas here in the forums and also through our  feature request form. We track them all and share with our Product team, as we hear from more users, determine there are no workarounds or other options, and evaluate the impact it has on working with the tools.  Here's how that process looks in a broad sense. But, I can't say when or if it'll be added to the roadmap only that once we have more information we'll share here in the forums! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.