Tab is marking as complete before video is watched?

Aug 28, 2017

I have a course with a few different tabs, but some tabs don't mark as complete until the video has played all the way through (preferred) and others keep marking as complete even with the video isn't played at all. I can't seem to find the controls for this -- anyone know where to set this?

15 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Rhoda!

My hunch is you may be using both Video Lessons and Video Blocks.

• Video Lessons require the learner to view the entirety of the video before the lesson is marked complete.
  • Video Blocks are part of a larger lesson, and the video doesn't have to be watched for the lesson to be marked complete. You can add a Continue Button below a video block to ensure the learner watches the entire video before moving on.

Let me know if that helps!

Central LXD

That does help! Thanks for explaining! 

To clarify, adding the continue button does force them to watch the video though, correct? Someone could just skip down and click the continue button to move on, and skip the video entirely? 

I'd like to keep some things in one lesson, such as a video + knowledge check. However, it seems like by putting the in on block, no one ever actually has to watch the video or answer the knowledge check to be marked as complete. Is there any way to actually track this?

Alyssa Gomez

Excellent question, Rhoda. You can adjust the settings on the "Continue" button so that it doesn't activate until the block directly above it (the video) is complete. Here's how:

• In the Continue block, click Edit
  • The "Edit Continue" pane will appear
  • In the Completion Type dropdown, select "Complete Block Directly Above"

I hope that helps! 😁

Kathy Borysiak

Hey there! Chiming in... is there any way to get this to work with an embedded video? I've used screencast.com because my client wants to be able to have a video player with CC and playback speed functionality. However, the "Continue" button doesn't seem to register like it would with a regular video. Thoughts?

Martika Cox

Hi there,

Thank you for your question! Right now, there isn’t a way to require learners to view embedded content before moving onto another lesson.

If the ability to do this would make authoring in Rise easier for you log a feature request to tell us more.

Please reach out if you have any other questions and I would be happy to help.

Michael Pfaffernoschke

Hey there,

I have an issue about that state of completion of videos. Since the last major update, we just have the possibility to add blocks - instead of those explicit lesson types that could be added before the update.

Is there any way to synchronize the round progress idicator in the left menu to the video progress? I have in mind that this worked out well when using a "video lesson" instead of a "video block".

It would be nice if there was a way.. :) 

Harry Carter

Hi, I need to force a learner to watch an entire video, meaning utilizing the (complete the content before moving on) idea but my video is hosted on Vimeo. So it seems that I can't use this method since it's asking for a file from my PC? My courses are "video intensive" and most would be called out to, using Vimeo.

Thank You,

Harry

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Harry,

If you don’t have the raw video file to better control the video player in Rise 360, you could...

1. Host the video in Storyline block and require the learner to complete it, or
  2. Add a checkbox or a knowledge check block below the video, requiring the learner to acknowledge that they viewed the content before continuing.