Translating use a text editor?

Jul 25, 2023

Has anybody had any success translating lessons by editing the exported .xlf file in a text editor?

I would like to manually translate my lessons to a second language and don't think it is worth it to subscribe to a translation platform, such as SmartCat, just to have to manually translate all the segments after the AI does it.

1 Reply
Christopher Santos

Hi Kenneth,

It's possible, but it will be extremely daunting since the XLIFF Translation format requires a few tags to be present in the translated file that will be imported back to Rise (e.g., <source> and <target> tags).

We also use SmartCat for testing, and I know they provide a free service for translation.  You can just upload the export XLF file, and SmartCat will provide a free interface where on one column, it will show the original language, and on the second column, you'll need to input the target language.  Once done, you can then export the translated file and import it back to Rise. 

We can also wait for others in the community for suggestions on some other free translation tools they use.