Trouble exporting XLIFF file

Jul 02, 2020

Greetings, all!

I am trying to export my Rise course for translation, and when I click the "Export XLIFF File" buttone, this is the pop up I get:

screen grab of pop up saying that I don

Can anyone help me secure the right app or create the needed association? Others on our team are not getting this message but they don't recall installing anything to have this functionality. It just worked for them.

Thanks!

Carrie

2 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi, Carrie. That (3) at the end of the file name makes me believe the download is working and you might have 4 copies of that XLF file in your Downloads folder. 

What you may be missing is the ability to open the XLF file, which will need to be done using translation software.

If you don't see the file in your Downloads folder or after doing a search on your desktop, let us know. We'll think about some next steps!

Thor Melicher

Carrie,

I don't know if you found a solution but one thing you can try is to assign Notepad as the default app for opening the XLF file which is a text file.  

A quick and fairly painless way of doing this is to:

1. Open Notepad, type some text, and click Save
  2. Type in a filename that will be easy for you to recognize and add .xlf
  3. Change the Save as type to All Files (*.*) and save it to your Desktop (or where it's easy to find.)
  4. Right click the saved file and select Open With.
  5. Click More Apps and then scroll down until you find Notepad and select it.
  6. Make sure Always use this app is checked.

Now the next time you export as XLF from Rise, it should open in Notepad and you won't receive the error message.  Also, no need to keep the file you created to associate Notepad with opening the .xlf.  

As for what is going on, Rise 360 tries to open the file immediately after it's created.  Windows doesn't know how to open this until an association is created with an application.  Once done, you should be good to go.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.