Articulate 360 Rise Publish opens in new window, I want to open in same window

Jan 17, 2017

Hi , I believe the Articulate 360 Rise lms Publish  is set to open in new window, I want to open in same window, is there a change to one of the html or xml files I can make to stop this, I want this to sit in my LMS and open in a tab or the same window. 

Thanks

Byron

14 Replies
Justin Grenier

Good Morning, Byron.

The new window vs. frame behavior is typically controlled by the Learning Management System.  As a quick proof of concept, here is a copy of our Employee Health and Wellness course  that has been uploaded to SCORM Cloud and configured to launch in a frameset:

Launch in Frameset

I'd recommend checking with your LMS support team to see how you can configure this in your environment.  Thanks for trying Rise!

Byron Tik

Hi Justin

Thank you for your reply, I am well familiar with the LMS settings and have set them to play in same window in more than one LMS, yet in all of them the publish insists on opening in a new window, which strikes me as something that is set within the Rise publish, I also noticed reference to this in another forum post on a slightly different matter.

In storyline this was also a setting you could control in storyline, https://community.articulate.com/series/4/articles/changing-the-browser-settings-and-player-size-in-articulate-storyline-2

Articulate Storyline lets you control several aspects of the browser and player for your published course, including:

Whether the course launches in a separate window and, if so, the properties of that windo

I am currently in the assumption that the publish setting is set to open in a new window, and was wondering where I can hack the bit of code for the player/browser that controls this, I checked some of the html and xml files but couldn't find it yet.

Justin: to recreate the issue, have you tried placing a scorm publish in your lms, with the correct setting in the lms and does it open in the same window.

Thanks for your feedback,

Byron 

ps. always best to assume you're not dealing with absolute noobs.

Justin Grenier

Hi, Byron!

Thanks for following up with me.  Can you have a look at this course I’ve hosted in SCORM Cloud with the correct launch behavior setting?  You should find that the content opens in the same window.  This content came straight from Rise, and our output should always launch as directed by the LMS (in contrast to Storyline, where you see the additional options you've pointed out).

If you continue to see content launching in a new window within your LMS, I'd recommend uploading your content to SCORM Cloud and adjusting the launch behavior according to the annotated image above.  I believe the content will open in the same window for you too.

...and hey, I didn’t mean to sound condescending.  I never make assumptions about noobs or experts!  The community is for all!

Let us know how it goes!

Byron Tik

By the way, HOW GOOD IS RISE?!?!?!?! Where can I high five the whole Rise team for making one of the best products ever!!! 

Thanks guys:)

Wish list :

- Storyline activities to sit as html5 or swf media in Rise, RIse is content Storyline does the complexer activities and presentations = perfect match. 

- Rise to make the perfect espresso with the click of a button

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Byron,

Thanks for the praise - I passed it along to the team as a virtual high five on your behalf. ;) 

We are looking at a feature where you'd be able to embed Storyline content into Rise, but I don't have an estimated timeline for when that feature would be available. I'll also be sure to let the team know about your request for the espresso - no promises on that one. 

Nancy Sutherland

Has anything with this changed?  I want the course to launch in a new window for my RISE courses and my LMS (Knowledge Direct) has told me this when I asked them about it:   You can add the requirement to the SCORM file to create a new window when launching. This will allow a new window to pop open and play the SCORM file inside of it and solve this issue.

Is this true with RISE?