Not every learner has the same needs or interests. That makes it hard for course creators to create compelling, tailored content that works for everyone. Creating courses with adaptive branching is a great approach to helping learners discover the content that’s relevant to them.
In an adaptive branching course, learners choose an option, answer a question, or make a decision—and the next question or content they encounter is a result of their decisions. The course adapts to their choices and creates a content path that makes sense for them.
Here are some super-cool personalized learning scenarios created with an adaptive branching approach. In each example, the branching may not be obvious because you won’t necessarily be aware of the content you’re not seeing. In many, community members added helpful notes to show where the adaptive branching begins. Check them out here:
- Make sure you’re well-qualified to care for your pet cat with this behavior quiz by Jodi Sansone. It provides helpful info that’s tailored to any quiz questions you miss.
- See if you’re at risk for developing diabetes with this branching assessment by Josh Petermann.
- Help learners assess their graphic design skills and areas where they need to improve in this interaction by Karlis Sprogis.
- See how Ashi Tandon gives learners opportunities to dig deeper when a topic catches their fancy.
- Check out how Monarch Media uses video clips to challenge learners to make decisions in response to what they’ve seen. It’s a fantastic example of combining multimedia with decision making.
If you’re ready to get started creating some adaptive branching scenarios of your own, dig into these tutorials for step-by-step instructions on creating branching interactions with Storyline:
- How I Built This Branched E-Learning Scenario
- How to Build Better Interactive Scenarios for E-Learning
- 3 Simple Steps to Create Branched E-Learning
And you can find even more adaptive branching challenges in this E-Learning Challenge.