Reducing Text and Bullet Points in E-Learning #431

Bullet Point Makeovers in E-Learning #431: Challenge | Recap

Bulleted lists are hands-down one of the most common ways to break up large blocks of text in e-learning. They’re quick and easy to create, and when used appropriately, bullets can improve:

• Readability
  • Scannability
  • Organization

But like any formatting technique, overuse of bullets can overwhelm or confuse learners and make your content difficult to digest.

So, how can course designers create more effective variations of bulleted lists that keep learners focused and engaged? That’s what this week’s challenge is all about!

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share one or more ideas for reducing on-screen text and bullet points in e-learning. Your example can be static or interactive, and you can use any app to create your demo.

Resources

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to link your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start a new thread and share a link to your published example.
  • Personal blog: If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We'll link to your posts so your great work gets even more exposure.
  • Social media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can follow your e-learning coolness.

✨Last Week’s Challenge:

To help you calculate the best approach for this week’s bullet point challenge, check out the financial calculator examples shared over the past week:

12 Financial Calculator Examples for E-Learning #430

Financial Calculator Examples RECAP #430: Challenge | Recap

🏆 New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

Learn more about the challenges in this Q&A post and why and how to participate in this helpful article.

📅 Next Week’s Challenge

• Next week's challenge (9/15/23): Using Escape Rooms in E-Learning. See challenge #198 to learn more about this challenge.

Got an idea for a challenge? Are you interested in doing a webinar showcasing how you made one or more challenge demos? Or do you have some comments for your humble challenge host? Use this anonymous form to share your feedback:  https://bit.ly/ElearningChallengeForm.

81 Comments
Jodi M. Sansone

Beatles Bullets Demo: https://jodisdemos.s3.amazonaws.com/431+Beatles+Bullets/story.html When I saw the challenge topic this morning I had just finished reviewing a heavy-text list on Wikipedia that inspired my demo. This week I had a 6-hour solo drive through the Arizona/California desert and listened to a Beatles satellite radio channel. The program was called the "Magical History Tour" and it counted down all 213 Beatles studio recordings in order from 1963 to 1970. I was surprised that some of the songs I thought were sung by John were actually sung by George. So I looked up the Beatles catalog to see who sang lead on each recording. I added the Wikipedia page as a tab on my player so you could see what inspired the demo. Enjoy the audio and hearing John, Paul, George and Ri... Expand

Andreas Fischer
Andreas Fischer
Courtney Roberts
Daniel Sweigert
Daniel Sweigert