Engage issue

Jul 27, 2011

Hello,

I am publishing a training module in the restricted mode. I have included several Engage interactions (Labeled Graphic) in the presentations. Upon review, I find that after the review of all items in the second interaction, the advance button does not display. Thus, I am locked into that slide. To be sure, I have run through the interaction several times, but with no luck. Does anyone have any advice?

One more note: I have the interaction set to show the "Next Slide" button on completion. After completing all steps, the button appears but you cannot advance ("please view all items..." message) and the Forward/Pause controller never changes from Pause to Forward.

Thanks,

Kelly

11 Replies
Brian Batt

Hi Kelly,

Is there audio in the Engage interaction?  If so, go to the last step of the interaction and click the Audio Editor button in the Audio section.  Then, go to the very last section of the audio & delete a small segment of silence.  Click Save & Close & republish your interaction.  I believe that this will reset the timing in the interaction so that it allows you to advance properly.

Kelly Miller

Brian,

I was clicking through quickly, but I reviewed it again and read all of the information on the drop-downs, but I still can't advance to the next slide. As I stated before, the "Next Slide" button appears, but the Forward/Pause controller does not change to Forward. Funny thing is, I went back to the first interaction that originally was working, but then failed, to see what I might have done. I inadvertanly added a tab as I was viewing it in edit mode. I then removed the tab, reviewed it, and low and behold, it was working again! I tried the same for the problem interaction, but that didn't resolve the problem. Perhaps I should just rebuild the interactions?

Brian Batt

Hi Kelly,

Would you mind submitting a support case so that we can take a closer look at the issue?

Please ZIP your INTR file and upload it to us.

You can upload your zip file here: 

http://upload.articulate.com/ 

***Please include the full URL from this thread in the Related Forums URL section.*** 

We will attempt to diagnose what's happening when we receive your upload.

Arleen Janz

I'm having the same problem with my Engage interaction, same thing, labeled graphic that won't move forward after clicking each label. I have the entire presentation set to not allow the user to move forward until each slide has been viewed. All the advance properties are set to "by user" except for the opening and ending scenes. In Engage I've turned off the next buttons as it's only one slide and they have the player forward button. I've tried turning it on just to see if makes a difference, but just as the previous poster has said, it's there but won't advance. I've tried checking "allow resume", but that didn't work, either. I simply cannot find any setting that I haven't already tried turning on or off to try to fix this. I have screenshots below to show the settings.

Every label is set just like the intro. No audio or media of any kind is added.

Arleen

Dwayne Schamp

Each item in that type of engage interaction has a set time given to it. So the final element has to play out completely before the slide is registered as completed. To see this, turn on the seek bar for the presentation. If you click each circle, but don't let the "last" window play out completely, the slide will not register completed.

Brian Batt

Hi Arleen & Zara,

The default duration for a step in an interaction is 5 seconds. Currently, it cannot be reduced beyond that from within the software. If you would like to see this feature in a future release, please submit a feature request to us: 

http://www.articulate.com/support/contact/feature/ 

You may be able to reduce the duration of a step by modifying your published output. Please note that the steps below are not supported by Articulate: 

1. Publish your presentation > Click Open Folder 

2. Open the Data folder 

3. Open the SWF folder 

4. Open the Engage folder for that particular interaction 

5. Open the engage_content folder 

6. Open the data.xml file in a program like Notepad 

7. In the first line, you'll see this: 

"autoplayduration="5" 

Change the number from 5 to 1. 

8. Save the file & test your presentation. 

You can learn more here: 

http://daveperso.mediaenglishonline.com/2008/08/27/changing-default-timings-in-engage/

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.