Engage within Engage

Jan 15, 2012

Hello everyone,

I have been a member of this site for quite a while, and I have been learning a lot from all of the posts and screenr casts.  Big thanks to this entire community.   This is my first post, so I guess I have been lurking for a while.  Anyway, I have a question about an engage interaction within engage.

I am inserting labeled graphics within a tab interaction.  I have followed the directions and I have tried for a couple of days to get this to work.  What I have found is the following:

I publish the 'child' interaction, and copy the .swf file to the parent interaction.

I point the 'add media' file to the .swf in the child.

Then, I get the swirl, which is perfect so far.

I then publish the parent again.  I find the new swf file that was created.  In my case swf0.swf

I then copy the engage_content folder from the child to the parent.

I rename the folder to match the swf file -->swf0_content

I now try to preview but I only get the swirl.

I have tried a number of things, and what I have found is that if I manually click on the "player.html" and open it with internet explorer, it works.  However, it won't work in the preview.  This seems odd to me, since in both demos -from Jeanne and Ender's design show the preview working correctly.  I guess I figured that if I got it working with clicking on the player.html then it would be okay, but it seems like something is wrong that I have to run it by going into the player file itself.  Has anyone seen this before? 

The other question I have is related to this.  If I set up my engage within engage interactions, it seems like I cannot re-publish my entire course without overwriting the child files that I copied into the parent directory.  Do you have a suggestion for this?  I think there must be some tip that I have not found that would help with this. 

So, in summary, if there are any suggestions on how I can get my engage within the engage to work like it does in the demos, that would be a huge help.  Second, if I can figure out how to publish my entire course without overwriting the content of the child engage, that would be helpful as well. 

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions with these issues.

Kind Regards,

Cyndi Dorsey

8 Replies
Cindy Almond

Hi Cyndi! Unfortunately I do not have an answer for you but wondered if you'd figured it out? I am trying to use a tabbed "parent" interaction, and within 2 of my 3 tabs I would like to have .swf files, it seems to work if i'm just using one .swf file and it publishes fine, but if i try to use 2 .swf files, it never publishes 2 .swfs in the parent interaction? only ever 1?

Any insight out there for two Cindy/Cyndi's needing an answer??

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.