Confused about Studio compatibility with Office365

Sep 24, 2015

I'm guessing this is old news but can't find what is the latest discussion on this.

I've just gone back into Studio/Presenter 9 for the first time for ages to try and update some files which haven't been touched for 2 years. The graphics don't show, whatever I do (yes all the local drive, latest upgrade, re-install, new fil, local graphics etc etc stuff) so on checking I find that 09 isn't compatible with Powerpoint any more (great news for a Powerpoint plug-in). I'm on an O365 subscription with automatic updates. I want to use the latest powerpoint for everything else I do. So I'm trying to work out my options...

Throw away what is now a useless piece of old junk?

Attempt a work around (the imported quizmaker files work ok, but the PPTX wrapper doesn't so you can't jump to them)... any clues?

Pay for an upgrade to 13, but I don't understand if that would work anyway, and since we "moved" from Studio to Storyline (2) and are a small company I don't actually consider that worth the money/risk... how long would that carry on working for anyway once there are further Microsoft upgrades? And the two products, although they have individual strengths, aren't different enough to support both for us.

Spend a huge amount of time trying to import and redo these in Storyline (quizmaker files pull in as a random mess in my previous experience) and suffer the downgrade of quizzing experience. Or find something else to use.

So...?

'mmn Can I import Quizmaker into Captivate? I also have a subscription to TechComm Suite so get constant updates on that. Maybe just running two major suites would make sense these days and forget most other stuff.

I've got a lot of sympathy for software creators having to constantly make software work with external things out of their control, it is really tough I understand that and I accept what I was trying to use is an old version....but it is only one version back after all! 

But I'll admit this has even given me pause for thought over our investment in Storyline, which I do like a lot. I've avoided going to Windows 10 and only now just realised that Storyline was actually the only reason I've not upgraded. I don't think that's a good feeling to start having...

Sorry for the rant, I don't really blame Articulate, obviously they just want customers to upgrade (and I get the irony that the issue is due to other upgrades) I just wanted to set out why I don't feel like upgrading. So just definitely grumpy today and booted unexpectedly  into "software strategy" mode.....

1 Reply
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sarah,

I certainly understand the frustration and hopefully I can help clarify a few things.

First, Studio 09 still is supported with Powerpoint, but just particular versions as detailed here and Office 365 is not one of them. As for Studio '13 it works with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Office 2007-2013, except the following:

• Office 365 web apps
  • Click-to-run versions of Office 2010

Storyline 2 is supported on Windows 10 and you'll find the other system requirements here . If you wanted to see a comparison of Studio 13 vs. Storyline there is a good article here and our Success team would be happy to walk through specifics and answer any questions you have. You can connect with them here. 

Hopefully that helps and feel free to let us know if you need anything else. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.