Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

Apr 09, 2015

I'm using Articualte Presenter 13 to make Scorm courses, the whole process goes smoothly, I have successfully upload courses to our learning management system - sum total, while there are 2 particular courses, no matter how many times I recreat these 2 courses, it can not be uploaded successfully, there always appears an error message: An error occurred during upload: Object reference not set to an instance of an object, can someone to help? 

9 Replies
Emad Gharaibeh

I have solved this out as well, there was a character in an animated slide that caused the problem, the slide had over 30 objects, and i had to remove the objects one by one until i figured out which one was causing the problem.

However, when recreated the slide again, and put the same objects, it worked with me and generated the course without any problems.

Penny Spacht

I received this error as well; however, I'm using Storyline 360.  I was editing audio at the time.  If there are special characters in the name of an object (shape, textbox, etc.) can it cause this problem?  What characters are allowed or not allowed (whichever is easier to list.)  Does it only happen with objects that are animated? 

I lost two hours worth of work, despite me having previously saved the file and having the file backup every two minutes.  The strange this is that it wouldn't save the file but I could publish it to Word, which at least captured the visual part of my work. 

I am working on my C-drive and my files names are not too long.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Penny

If you stick to alphanumeric characters in file names and file paths, that would be best. The tips here also discuss file naming conventions that you may want to follow. 

Also, if Storyline quits unexpectedly or crashing you can often find a copy of the file in your temp folder. Here's how to check: 

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer:  

Wedppdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Let us know if you run into the issue again, as it would help to take a look at the file and know the steps you went through. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.