Issue with Quizmaker 2009 & Resume Data

Feb 06, 2013

Good afternoon, all!

I'm having a hair-tearing issue with a Quizmaker 2009 file. This is a single quiz that has eight question groups. Each question group pulls in a set number of questions from a question pool. Overall, the quiz file gives the learner a set of 50 questions out of 93 total questions.The problem comes in when the learner leaves the quiz and comes back to it. If the learner leaves the quiz after question #20, the quiz always takes them back to question #20 when they resume. For instance, if they answered 35 questions before exiting the quiz, when they resumed, the quiz would take them back to question #20 and ignore the questions that had been answered.

I suspect it's a cmi.suspend_data issue. We're using Pathlore 6.7 and we must use SCORM 1.2, so SCORM 2004 isn't an option.

Here's what I have done to try and troubleshoot this issue.

1. I saved my quiz file under another name and removed some of the questions in each of the question groups.
  2. I saved my quiz file under another name and removed the random generation functionality, so that each question group returns the same number of questions (actually, the same questions) every time. 
  3. I built a new quiz file and imported my questions to it, thinking that my original file was now corrupt.
  4. I deleted some questions and brought the total number of questions in the quiz (no random generating, no question groups) to 40.
  5. I've cleared my browser cache every time between republishing & relaunching the quiz in our LMS. 
  6. I've enabled logging and I've noticed that the data in cmi.suspend_data is reduced (based on the # of bytes in the string) when resuming. I've loaded the log file from my last testing attempt.
  7. When I check under updates for my copy of Quizmaker, it tells me no updates are available.

The most success I've had is that instead of stopping at question #20 upon resume, it starts at question #26 or #28.

Has anyone else had this issue? Surely it's not the number of questions, since I would think it could handle more than 40 or 50 (or even 93).

Thanks!

Scott Lindsey

Sr. Instructional Designer

RadioShack Learning & Development

11 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Scott!

So sorry to hear about the frustration you've experienced with this. I can certainly see how this would be an issue. Have you tried  testing your course in SCORM Cloud to help us determine if the issue is Articulate related or if it's on your LMS's side? If it appears in SCORM Cloud as well, we'd be happy to take a closer look at what might be going on. If you can't replicate the issue in SCORM Cloud, it's probably an issue that you'd want to take to your LMS team. Since you've already generated the debug log, you may want to share this with them, as well. For some additional reference, the articles here and here may also help clear up common LMS issues.

Thanks Scott,

Christine

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.